IntelliFlo Seal Failure on Almost Brand New Pump (SWCG Pool)

Aug 12, 2018
Redding, CA
Well, I’m glad I trusted my instincts on this one:

I bought a new IntelliFlo pump in February of this year. The IntelliFlo replaced an older WhisperFlo single-speed pump for our pool/spa combo. As a side note, I also converted our pool to SWCG around the same time. I installed the pump myself, hooked it up to our IntelliTouch automation, and everything was working great. In the meantime, I purchased a salt-water seal/gasket kit from Inyo Pools. I had replaced the seals and gaskets in my other two pumps (water fall and spa jets), so I was familiar with the process. I figured I would put the salt-water kit into the new pump sometime later this summer or next year, so I ordered it to have it on hand just because.

Cut to about two weeks ago.. I noticed a strange noise coming from the pump on startup and shutdown. The best way to describe it would be like the squeal your car brakes make when they are getting worn down. Or as my kids would say, like a pinched-off fart. I didn’t think too much of it, but it did cause me some concern seeing as how this was basically a brand new pump. We have a swimming-pool-loving black lab, so I figured maybe a bunch of her hair got caught up in the impeller, which was causing the noise. The noise didn’t happen all of the time, but it happened enough that I decided to take the pump apart to make sure everything was OK.

Lo and behold, I discovered the mechanical seal had failed and water was seeping through and onto the main motor shaft. The back of the seal was rusted and corroded, but luckily water had not made it into the motor itself.

E1DA5F9B-264F-4F65-B3B6-52344A273E97.jpeg

FB330D12-2B9F-4976-93D1-F095BA227D20.jpeg

I cleaned everything up and re-assembled the motor with the new salt-water rated seal and gaskets from the kit I had bought.

I’ve been diligent in following TFP methods, to include keeping an eye on my CSI to prevent corrosion, but I don’t think that was the issue. Has anyone else had an issue with the factory mechanical seal failing so quickly on an almost new pump and a SWCG pool, or did I just maybe get a dud? I know I could have possibly gone the warranty route (I know Pentair has really limited warranties for self-installed products), but I just took care of it since I was comfortable with the process, had the pump taken apart, and had the parts I needed on hand.

Anyways, just figured I’d share my experience in case anyone else had to deal with something similar.

- Chris

Chris,

From my point of view you got a dud...

I say this because I have three IntelliFlo pumps, at three saltwater pools from day one.. One is 10 years old, one is 7 years old and one is about 6 years old.. All three pumps run 24/7 and none of them make noise or leak..

Thanks,

Jim R.

There are several quality levels for seals.

Manufacturers can save a few dollars per pump by using the cheaper seal, but it comes at the cost of reliability and the costs associated with seal failure.

In my opinion, the seal should be the best quality available for a pump that costs more than $1,000.00.

There seems to be more complaints lately about squeaky pumps, which I suspect is due to cheaper seals and possibly cheaper bearings.

Bearings and seals are not the place to cheap out to save a few bucks per pump.

I suspect that different production managers buy different seals and bearings depending on their compensation and how long they plan to stay at the company.

Short termers who are paid to cut costs are more likely to buy cheap parts.

By the time the quality complaints come in, they already have cashed their bonus check and moved on to the competition who benefits from the problems left behind at the old company.

Last edited:
I’ve been diligent in following TFP methods, to include keeping an eye on my CSI to prevent corrosion, but I don’t think that was the issue. Has anyone else had an issue with the factory mechanical seal failing so quickly on an almost new pump and a SWCG pool, or did I just maybe get a dud?

Hi,

I noticed a chirping sound on startup/shutdown a week ago on my almost brand new Intelliflo 011028 that I bought and self-installed a month ago. I thought that maybe a leaf got stuck somewhere and was going to clean it next week. It would be rather unpleasant if my seal is failing too only after a month.

What kit did you buy to replace the seal ? Is there some guidance on how to install it ?

Thanks !

The Intelliflo is the same as the Whisperflo except for the motor.

Check YouTube for videos about replacing the seal.

The original seal is part number 071734S.

Acceptable replacement seals are PS-3865R or PS-1905.

Hi,

I noticed a chirping sound on startup/shutdown a week ago on my almost brand new Intelliflo 011028 that I bought and self-installed a month ago. I thought that maybe a leaf got stuck somewhere and was going to clean it next week. It would be rather unpleasant if my seal is failing too only after a month.

What kit did you buy to replace the seal ? Is there some guidance on how to install it ?

Thanks !

So the kit I bought is here. This worked with my IntelliFlo main pump (from the story above) and my waterfall and jet pumps (both WhisperFlo single-speed). There are several YouTube videos that walk you through the process. Additionally, the seal replacement process is outlined toward the back of the manual that came with the pump. It felt a little scary cracking open a brand new $1,000+ pump, but the actual process isn’t too bad if you follow the steps.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.