IntelliFlo question

jeffnhispool

Silver Supporter
Jan 28, 2019
Tampa, FL
my reading of the output curves on the intelliflow pointed to tons of flow even at minimum speed as opposed to the Suprflow I bought for a similar size pool. The IF costs more and it seems to me you have less flexibility to balance rpm, run time & SWG output.

What am I missing ?

This is on noob me, Jim. I thought I was posting a question in another thread and seem to have started my own :)

Seems this was moved which confuses me since I was questioning the OPs logic on his pump choice.

Allow me to rephrase as a stand alone question.

Someone was planning on an intelliflow for a 9500k pool. Im going from a 3/4hp SS to a superflow although I looked at the intelliflo with all its bells and whistles. However, even on its lowest speed it the IF put out far more flow than my simple little pool needed. It would in essence be a single (or limited) speed pump with little margin for tweaking.

In that context I don't see the point in buying an intelliflo for a 10k pool. Agree ?

Last edited:
Jeff,

No not really... It makes perfect sense to not buy the IntelliFlo, if the goal is to not spend the extra bucks... But your idea that you can't use the IntelliFlo because the pool is too small does not make sense.. One of the mods here has an IntelliFlo and I believe his pool is only 6K...

The larger the pump the slower you can run it and still move the same about of water..

There are a couple of reason to own a VS pump... Cost of electricity, very quiet, and in my mind the most important reason is to change speeds to meet your pools requirements..

I'll use my pool for reference... I run at 1200 RPM, to move enough water to turn on my flow switch.. At that speed, the pump uses about 180 watts of power.. Then a few times a day the pump ramps up to 1500 to help with skimming.. When I turn on my waterfall the pump ramps up to 2800, because it takes more flow to make the waterfall work.. All this happens automatically via my automation system.

The Pentair SuperFlo VS could do the same job, but it would have to run faster to produce the same amount to flow, and the SuperFlo VS is not directly controllable via my EasyTouch automation system.

If the pool does not have an automation system nor any water features, then to me, a 2-speed pump is a better option that a VS pump.

Sorry, maybe I still don't understand your point of view..

Jim R.

Reactions: galowbraw
Jeff,

No not really... It makes perfect sense to not buy the IntelliFlo, if the goal is to not spend the extra bucks... But your idea that you can't use the IntelliFlo because the pool is too small does not make sense.. One of the mods here has an IntelliFlo and I believe his pool is only 6K...

The larger the pump the slower you can run it and still move the same about of water..

There are a couple of reason to own a VS pump... Cost of electricity, very quiet, and in my mind the most important reason is to change speeds to meet your pools requirements..

I'll use my pool for reference... I run at 1200 RPM, to move enough water to turn on my flow switch.. At that speed, the pump uses about 180 watts of power.. Then a few times a day the pump ramps up to 1500 to help with skimming.. When I turn on my waterfall the pump ramps up to 2800, because it takes more flow to make the waterfall work.. All this happens automatically via my automation system.

The Pentair SuperFlo VS could do the same job, but it would have to run faster to produce the same amount to flow, and the SuperFlo VS is not directly controllable via my EasyTouch automation system.

If the pool does not have an automation system nor any water features, then to me, a 2-speed pump is a better option that a VS pump.

Sorry, maybe I still don't understand your point of view..

Jim R.

How far is Bedford from Spring, Tx? If you ever drive through Spring, stop by for a case of anything you drink and a lesson on my equipment :ROFLMAO:. Thanks for your help on our posts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.