Sep 27, 2021
California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there,

I've been having an issue with my pump not priming for some time. At low RPM's the pump stays primed, but anything above 2000 RPM's causes the pump to quickly lose prime. I've tried troubleshooting all standard culprits, drain plug, skimmer, o-ring, pump lid, impeller, with no luck. My original worry was a suction side leak, but after having a few technicians out they don't believe that is the culprit.

Most recently, a technician changed the location of the temperature sensor from the suction side to the pressure side, which did not work. He mentioned it might be the filter causing a backup, because the filter is old. However, I purchased a new filter and replaced the old and still having the issue. Now the company is saying it might be that there is a buildup in the pipes, and they are asking to come back out to blow out the pipes. BeforeI spend more money on a service visit again however, I want to make sure that is a viable potential solution. I've been spinning my wheels for months now and have not been able to resolve this.

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!!

Attachments

• image0 (8).jpeg
    image0 (8).jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 24
  • image1 (5).jpeg
    image1 (5).jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 24
  • image1 (4).jpeg
    image1 (4).jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 22
  • image0 (7).jpeg
    image0 (7).jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 23
  • image2 (4).jpeg
    image2 (4).jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 24
Adrian,

If the pump runs well at low RPMs but runs out of water at higher RPMs, then the first thing to check is a blockage in the intake pipe.

Have someone look in the skimmer as you ramp up the RPMs. Does the skimmer run out of water?

If the skimmer runs out of water, then your weir door is most likely stuck up. Or your water level is very low.

What is your filter pressure when running at a low RPM, and what is the filter pressure when running at a high RPM.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

Skimmer weir is working fine, not running out of water while pump is on. Water level is high as well.

However, the filter pressure is an area that might be related. The filter pressure reads zero all the time. I tried replacing the gauge, but the new gauge read zero as well. I tested both gauges outside of the filter and they both worked fine. Not sure if that is related.

Thank you!
Adrian

This is definitely a problem. The only time you should see zero pressure is when the pump is not running. Have you bled the air out of the filter using the air release valve at the top?
Yes, I do this frequently, but once I close it back up the air returns to the filter and the bubbles in the return lines return.

However, I do hear air being released from the air release valve when the pump is on, even when the air release valve is closed. Is that normal?

Would that cause my priming issues? I could try replacing the pressure release valve.
I don't know. But I do know I would fix any air or water leak I came across. If this were my filter, I'd replace everything at the top where the gauge and valve are. You've already replaced #1, so maybe it's time to replace #2-#5.
filter.png

Reactions: adrian300
Adrian,

Even if the air relief valve is wide open, the only problem should be water squirting out.. It will not cause a priming issue.

Just to be clear.. When you say the pump is losing prime, you mean that the pump basket is empty, or very low on water. Is that true?

If so, it sounds like the line between the skimmer and the pump is the problem. It could be blocked, or it may have an air leak.. What kind of pipe do you have under ground? Is it flex pipe?

When the pump is running below 2000 RPM, can you feel a good flow of water going back to your pool?

Not sure where your pool is in relation to your pad, but one thing you can do is run a temporary above ground PVC line from your pool to the pump. If the problem goes away, then the underground line is bad. If the problem does not go away, there is no sense digging up dirt.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Adrian,

Even if the air relief valve is wide open, the only problem should be water squirting out.. It will not cause a priming issue.

Just to be clear.. When you say the pump is losing prime, you mean that the pump basket is empty, or very low on water. Is that true?

If so, it sounds like the line between the skimmer and the pump is the problem. It could be blocked, or it may have an air leak.. What kind of pipe do you have under ground? Is it flex pipe?

When the pump is running below 2000 RPM, can you feel a good flow of water going back to your pool?

Not sure where your pool is in relation to your pad, but one thing you can do is run a temporary above ground PVC line from your pool to the pump. If the problem goes away, then the underground line is bad. If the problem does not go away, there is no sense digging up dirt.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,

Correct, the higher the RPM on the pump, the less water in the basket. If I run the booster pump for the sweep at the same time, the basket is pretty much empty.

Not sure what type of pipe is underground but I don't believe it's flex. Just purchased the house in September. From the pictures I sent, its all cement/pool deck from the pump pad to the skimmer, and maybe only 7 feet.

Back to the original technician's proposal of blowing out the line, would they be able to do that to the suction side? If so, is there a chance that could fix this?

Thanks,
Adrian

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adrian,

If the problem is a simple clog in the pipe between the skimmer and the pump, and it can be blown out, then that should fix the problem.

If the problem is a broken pipe, that is allowing air in, then it will not help.

If this were my pool, I'd spend a few bucks and run a temp line to the pool. This would confirm if the problem is under the decking or not.

If someone comes out to blow out a clog, I'd also what them to have the ability to pressure test the line, if unclogging the line did not work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Adrian,

If the problem is a simple clog in the pipe between the skimmer and the pump, and it can be blown out, then that should fix the problem.

If the problem is a broken pipe, that is allowing air in, then it will not help.

If this were my pool, I'd spend a few bucks and run a temp line to the pool. This would confirm if the problem is under the decking or not.

If someone comes out to blow out a clog, I'd also what them to have the ability to pressure test the line, if unclogging the line did not work.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Okay here is an interesting development. When I open the air release valve while the pump is running, the air bubble in the pump basket gets bigger, and no water comes out of the release valve.

Could this mean it is filter related?

Well, nevermind. I tried sealing the release valve but still had a significant amount of air in the chamber.

It must be an underground leak, or a pipe blockage.
One last thing, I am not losing pool water, however, which makes me think it is not an underground leak. But not sure what else it could be.

Thank you Jim. Really appreciate everyone’s feedback. So after some more research it seems like the two final culprits it could be are a suction side clog which would cause surging water, which I do see at high rpm’s but not low. The other potential is a small underground air leak. I’m not losing water, but after reading more it seems like water loss is not always a symptom of underground air leaks.

My options:
$125 for pool service visit to blow out the lines
$22 for drain king to do my own testing and blowing of the line
$395 for professional leak detection to pressure test all lines
$TBD for running a temporary line from pump to pool to test. Would need to cut the pvc and purchase a flex pipe

Andrian,

I would use regular PVC and couplings if needed. I would never use flex pipe even for a test rig.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Understood. I really hope it isn’t an underground air leak because it’s all pool deck and cement between the pump pad and the pool, but given that this has been going on for months, it doesn’t seem likely that’s a clog. Has anyone had luck with no dig pipe repair options?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.