IntelliFlo <> EasyTouch issue - The Return!

matj6876

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 28, 2007
DFW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
All

I got a new IntelliFlo i1 pump as part of a pool remodel. I had some initial issues which Jim R helped me work through in this thread.
That highlighted some SWCG issues... that I've just fixed with the help of several folks in this thread.
Posting those links as they contain some background to this new issue.

Now I'm up and running I have a pump control issue. It manifests itself in several ways but, I think, the easiest to trouble shoot may be the following.
  • With ET in "Auto" mode, in the middle of the day, the pump is running as scheduled.
  • Using ScreenLogic I stop the pump... it stops.
  • I wait a bit (maybe change the IC40 flow switch, for example) and then try to turn the pump back on.
  • Using ScreenLogic I start the pump... the relay clicks on. The IC40 (that's on the same relay) powers up but the pump does not start.

The pump will not start again. Now that the flow switch on my SWCG is fixed I'm a little more comfortable leaving the pump circuit on without the pump running...
I've tried giving it 5 mins, 10 mins, 15 mins... it still does not start.
Interestingly, to me at least, if I drop the ET into Service mode, start the pump manually and then put ET back into Auto mode - the pump keeps running (per schedule).
Once I have done that the pump will respond to speed change and stop controls from Screen logic.
It will also start up again on schedule at 8am tomorrow morning.

I know the easy answer here is - run a schedule, don't mess with it and everything works. Meh... yeah, I guess.
But this can't be the way it's supposed to work? Can it?

In auto mode I ought to be able to use SL to stop then restart the pump right? Surely that has to be a thing!

There was some commentary on my wiring being incorrect.
I don't think that's the case but, for completeness, here's a picture of the load center.
Not shown here but the green and yellow control wires of the pump are connected to the correct terminals on the ET com port.
load center notes.jpg

Any thoughts on troubleshooting?

Appreciate it in advance.

Cheers

MattJ

Re: IntelliFlo &lt;&gt; EasyTouch issue - The Return!

Matt,

It appears the pump is getting constant AC power, so that is correct.

I can't think of a single reason you would want to turn the pump off using ScreenLogic.

The whole point of having a "Service" mode is just that.. when you want to service something. Being in Service mode ensures that the ET does not start the pump because of some schedule when you are working on something. Putting it back into Auto puts everything back where it should be, schedule wise.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see a pump on/off button.. So how are you shutting off the pump?

To be honest I can't make heads or tails on the wiring.. it appears to me that the SWCG is wired into the Line side (always has power) of your relay.. As long as the SWCG has no lights when the pump is off then it is wired correctly.. The SWCG should only get power when the pump is running.

I am not sure why your pump is not coming back on but have to assume the you interrupted the schedule and that it won't get back on schedule for 24 hours.. It really matters when you turned it on/off. Depending on when this happens, the ET will just skip the next schedule.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the 2-speed relay for???

A couple of things.

One I believe the pump and SWG should be attached to the MAIN pump relay. Meaning they both should come on at the same time with the same PUMP command.
Right now it looks that they are on separate relays.
Not sure about that red jumper wire between the two relays.

And where are your GFCI breakers? Do you have one for each circuit on your electrical panel. If not you should.

A couple of things.

One I believe the pump and SWG should be attached to the MAIN pump relay. Meaning they both should come on at the same time with the same command.
Right now it looks that they are on separate relays.
Not sure about that red jumper wire between the two relays.

And where are your GFCI breakers? Do you have one for each circuit on your electrical panel. If not you should.

Blake,

The OP has a VS pump that gets connected directly to the 220 volt input.. His IntelliFlo is controlled by a data cable and is not attached to any relay.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi both

To detour on wiring for a moment. Yes, it's a mess... a beautiful rainbow of a mess!
It's not one of my creation, and i don't think it's go anything to do with my problem here, but I have poked around enough to be able to explain it.
  • Its a 240V system so there are 2 x 120V feeds that come in on the far right
  • These two feeds connect to the main pump, the ET transformer and the Line 1 and Line 2 terminals on the Filter Pump relay.
  • The Load 1 and Load 2 terminals on the Filter Pump relay are connected to the SWCG (IC40) and the Line 1 and Line 2 terminals on the AUX1 relay. As AUX 1 controls the booster pump I assume that it was wired this way (with the jumpers) so that the booster pump will not run unless the Filter Pump is also on (makes sense to me)
  • The Load 1 and Load 2 terminals on the AUX1 relay are connected to the Booster Pump
  • For the sake of this exercise you can ignore AUX2 it's switching a independent 120V line for the pool light.
  • AUX3 has nothing on it.
  • The Dual speed relay is installed because the prior pump was dual speed. It is no longer connected to any Line or Load, nor is it connected to the ET control board.

If you keep everything in the same place and try to draw it, it looks something like this:
wiring1.jpg

Best I can simplify that is like this:
wiring2.jpg

From a power perspective everything is powered when it should be... and not powered when it should be.
I don't think I have a wiring issue. I really think I have a control issue.

Jim - I buy your "why would you ever want to turn off the pump running as scheduled" the only answer I can give you for that is I jolly well think it ought to work that way... but that's not reason enough! :)

Instead I will offer you these two as different and hopefully more practical use cases:
  • When I exit service mode (to auto) with the pump off. It does not restart the pump if it's scheduled to be running. I have to have the pump running in service mode before exiting to auto for it to keep running.
  • If the pump schedule has finished for the evening then the pump is off. I've added some chemicals and I would love to be able to start the pump from ScreenLogic to run it for a few hours. I can't! The only way for me to start the pump and manually run it for an hour or two is to drop to service mode and run it from the pump.

You ask how I'm shutting off the pump.
I'm talking about the main pool control button on the POOL page in SL.
When I had a single speed pump, this button would turn the pump off if it were on, or turn the pump on if it were off. Regardless of schedule.
When I had a double speed pump, this button would turn the pump off if it were on, or turn the pump on if it were off. Regardless of schedule.
Now I have a VS pump, this button turns the pump off when it is on... but it will not turn it on when it is off. Regardless of schedule.

Fundamental question: I expect this button to turn my pump on and run it at "Pool Speed" (2400RPM) when I press it. Is that the wrong expectation?
SL6.jpg

Thanks again for all the help folks!

IntelliFlo &lt;&gt; EasyTouch issue - The Return!

My first thought was to check any delays that are set in your SL. I have run into the same issue you are referencing and when I go in and cancel all delays, the pump fires right up.
903f0320e76f48c4595a65d12cd3a1c5.png

d0c7ce959f86f98ca10da4038d41bfaf.png

Re: IntelliFlo &lt;&gt; EasyTouch issue - The Return!

My first thought was to check any delays that are set in your SL. I have run into the same issue you are referencing and when I go in and cancel all delays, the pump fires right up.

Thanks! That was not something I had checked! Sadly - No delays or alerts.

SL7.jpg

Matt,

Thanks for the wiring update.. although very "Rainbow" your system is wired just fine... :p

Just to make sure.. When the pump is running a schedule the pump's display says "Display Not Active" and when you go into the service mode, the pump stops, and the display says "RPM, etc.." Then going back to Auto should start the pump again. Might take a minute or so.. At this point what does the pump's display say??? It should be "Display not active"...

I'm headed out, but let me think about it..

Please post a screenshots of your schedule and of the egg-timer page.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Matt,

I'm sure you know this already, but I have to ask to make sure.. You push the mode button once to get into Service mode and then you have to push it twice to back to auto. The first push only takes you to the timeout mode..

I can't see any obvious reason that your pump does not start back up when going out of the Service mode... A puzzle.. :confused:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim (and anyone else who wants in on this puzzle!)

Assume nothing when it comes to my pool knowledge! It's self taught and has more holes than Swiss cheese.
In this instance though.. Yes, pushing the mode button twice AUTO > SERVICE > TIMEOUT > AUTO.

Yes, when in auto pump looks like this:
View attachment 84152

It behaves exactly as (I think) it should behave, except for this one issue.
When ET is in AUTO mode and the pump is running, either because I started it in SERVICE mode or it started on a schedule, I can control the RPMs and stop the pump from SL.
But, when ET is in AUTO mode and the pump is not running, either because I exited SERVICE mode or it is scheduled to be off, I cannot start it from SL.

Quite the puzzle! What do you think?
I'm on the road for a bit, so no rush on this if you want to noodle on it for a few days!

Requested SL screen shots below.

Thanks again for all the help

Cheers
MattJ!

SL8.jpg

SL9.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Matt,

While I "noodle on it" the next time you are home don't screw with it and allow it to start up at 8 am on its own.. Then some time while the Pool schedule is running, and using the main panel, go into the Service mode, make sure the pump stops, and then back to Auto.. Did the pump start? If not, what does the pump's display says at that point in time.

I asked Dirk, another member with a lite version EasyTouch, and his pump comes right back up as it should. He has the standard IntelliFlo, not the i1, but I can't see that making any difference.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I had the same issue. Not turning on/off in the app or the manual button on the easytouch. Was driving me crazy. I have a hunch that the relay will not manually toggle on/off when the SWG is in super chlorination “on” and/or running a schedule.

Issue has resolved itself. Wish I had a more definitive answer.

Matt,

While I "noodle on it" the next time you are home don't screw with it and allow it to start up at 8 am on its own.. Then some time while the Pool schedule is running, and using the main panel, go into the Service mode, make sure the pump stops, and then back to Auto.. Did the pump start? If not, what does the pump's display says at that point in time.

Hi All

back home and back on the case of this one.

Jim - this is an easy one to answer:
No, the pump does not start but as expected the pump's display says:
"Pump Address 1 DISPLAY Not Active!"

Correspondingly if the pump is started up again, while in service mode, then I make the switch to Auto... it keeps going!

Did the noodling get you anywhere?

Worth putting in a support call to Pentair?

Thanks again all.

Matt,

Well of course that means the ET is controlling the pump, which is a good thing, but I have no clue why the pump does not start right back up.

I would try "SplashBro's" suggestion and see what happens.

I think it would be worth a call to Pentair and see what they say. If you do, let us know what the fix is...

Thanks,

Jim R.

OK - this one is officially on the back burner. The issue is so exactly repeatable that it's possible for me to do whatever I need to do to keep limping along, provided the thing keeps running to a schedule.

I think I also have flow rate issues but I need to get my filter cleaned before I jump to that conclusion.

If I don't have bigger issues and I get some spare time over the fall I may put in a call to Pentair and see if I can fix this one!

Thanks for the support so far everyone.

How long are you waiting for the pump to come back on?

The relay click should be obvious and relatively immediate but the pump takes an awkwardly long time to start up again. Is it possible you aren't waiting long enough? I've seen pumps take over a minute to get going after the procedure that you have mentioned.

Hi Brian - Longest I've waited is 15 mins. Most of the time right now i'm giving it about 2 mins.

Brian,

The Op has an EasyTouch "Lite" and an IntelliFlo i1... So it could be a firmware/programming issue between the two units...

I would call Pentair and see if they have any answers..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.