IntelliConnect Valve Actuator

bdejulius

May 25, 2020
NJ
Does anyone know if an IntelliConnect can control a valve actuator? I got my IntelliConnect working with my IntelliFlo and Pentair heater. I would love to be able to control my one valve actuator via the IntelliConnect. Is there any possible way to do this with the relay(s)? I can certainly wire in a 24V transformer, but the communication wire is where I'm stuck. Any help is greatly appreciated!

B,

Here is a diagram that shows how the basic valve can be controlled by a relay and 24 VAC transformer.. Not sure it will work for you, but it should give you some ideas..

When power is applied to the Red wire the valve moves to one stop, and when applied to the White wire, the valve moves to the other stop.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you very much. So since my relay port in the IntelliConnect has Line 1 In/Out and Line 2 In/Out (4 terminals), would I split the wire from the transformer to the relay to both Line 1 & Line 2 In, and then have the red and white wires coming out of the relay to the actuator? Or just have the wire from the transmitter to Line 1 In only?

Also, it appears to me that if I went this route, I could just use a wife aux relay like on of these:

Would that work? If so, some are advertised as "inching relays"? Would that mean I could open to different levels and perhaps use an IntelliValve to control flow?

Thanks so much in advance!

B,

You can't directly use the relays in the IntelliConnect as I believe they only have normally open contacts and no normally closed contacts.. You can use the relay in your IntelliConnect to power the relay in my diagram..

I know nothing about inching relays as I control flow by adjusting the speed of my pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I've been considering using inching relays for just such a purpose. it would be a bit complex because you have no way of knowing where the valve actually is. So to achieve a midpoint you would need to probably inch to a fully open position then inch back to the midpoint.

I set up my 2 actuators on 2 wall switches. They are three position switches. On - off - on . This allows me to go fully to either stop on the valve and the center position of the switch turns off the power to the actuator and allows me to stop it at any point. So I simply count the seconds to achieve the proper position. A 90° turn is 19 seconds.

I believe the same procedure could be set up with the inching relays.

I've been considering using inching relays for just such a purpose. it would be a bit complex because you have no way of knowing where the valve actually is. So to achieve a midpoint you would need to probably inch to a fully open position then inch back to the midpoint.

I set up my 2 actuators on 2 wall switches. They are three position switches. On - off - on . This allows me to go fully to either stop on the valve and the center position of the switch turns off the power to the actuator and allows me to stop it at any point. So I simply count the seconds to achieve the proper position. A 90° turn is 19 seconds.

I believe the same procedure could be set up with the inching relays.

That's an interesting approach. What kind of switch did you use? How did you wire it?

B,

You can't directly use the relays in the IntelliConnect as I believe they only have normally open contacts and no normally closed contacts.. You can use the relay in your IntelliConnect to power the relay in my diagram..

I know nothing about inching relays as I control flow by adjusting the speed of my pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks- that's a big help. I think I am better off going with a different controller like the ones on Amazon. I appreciate your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.