@ryanfaricy

Time for me to learn something... What is a "PNRA1" device?? I have no clue what that is, or how to even know... I don't have an IntelliConnect, but would like to know anyway..

Thanks,

Jim R.

It sounds like Pentair is using two different boards with different firmware in the Intelliconnect. One marked PRN and the other marked PIF. When you register the device with Pentair you tell them which version you have.

It is two different versions in the supply chain with the same product name and P/N.

Reactions: ryanfaricy
It sounds like Pentair is using two different boards with different firmware in the Intelliconnect. One marked PRN and the other marked PIF. When you register the device with Pentair you tell them which version you have.

It is two different versions in the supply chain with the same product name and P/N.

Yep, exactly this. There's a little label inside the cover of the unit, with a number that you enter into the Pentair Home app during setup. The "bad" ones start with PNRA1 while the "good" ones start with PIF. :)

My new IntelliConnect is still running everything perfectly so I'm happy!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Just curious, Ryan. Did you swap out your IntelliConnect as a warranty item, or did you just buy another one? It's more than a little disturbing that Pentair wouldn't have made the fix for 15 minute restarts a priority. My PIF version is from August 2018, so I also wonder which is the newer one? There used to be a really good and really helpful and informative tech support manager at Pentair. He even stayed on the phone with me talking me through a couple of issues. His name is Brian Booths. Sadly, I guess he's moved on, as a year ago, my emails to him started bouncing.

Reactions: ryanfaricy
Just curious, Ryan. Did you swap out your IntelliConnect as a warranty item, or did you just buy another one? It's more than a little disturbing that Pentair wouldn't have made the fix for 15 minute restarts a priority. My PIF version is from August 2018, so I also wonder which is the newer one? There used to be a really good and really helpful and informative tech support manager at Pentair. He even stayed on the phone with me talking me through a couple of issues. His name is Brian Booths. Sadly, I guess he's moved on, as a year ago, my emails to him started bouncing.

I was in touch with them - they don't think they can make the fix in the firmware, which is why they can't just push out an update. He stated it's a problem in the WiFi module they're using.

I didn't want to wait so I just bought one myself and I will try to get Pentair to buy the other one back. If you're a PIF, you're all good with no worries. It sounds like the PNR devices aren't common in the supply - I just had bad luck getting one from the my original order distributor (Spreetail). Pinch a Penny had what I needed and everything is still working perfectly.

(Edit: my PNR had a 2018 date on it also)

Last edited:
I just remembered I bought the "bad" IntelliConnect via Target.com (Spreetail was the seller on there) so I'm heading to their store to return it for a full refund! :)

Spoke with Pentair support this morning and the rep seemed to immediately recognize what I was talking about and said it's a firmware issue they're working on and currently testing a beta fix. They created a case for me so hopefully it is resolved soon.

They also said it's normal for the IntelliConnect to cause the pump to flash between "display not active" and the normal screen so that reassured me as well.

I'm just glad they're aware of the issue and it's not just me. lol. Hopefully the remedy is released just as smoothly as the phone call went.
Any update on this? I am anew pool owner with the intelleconnect and Intelleflo VSF and mine shuts down and restarts often. I was curious if you got it resolved. Mine re-primes also. No leaks anywhere, so not sure what is happening.

Any update on this? I am anew pool owner with the intelleconnect and Intelleflo VSF and mine shuts down and restarts often. I was curious if you got it resolved. Mine re-primes also. No leaks anywhere, so not sure what is happening.

Check my last post on page 1. Look at your silver label inside the main cover (the one that you typed or scanned to set it up). If it begins with PNRA1 and yours is doing this, I wouldn't count on Pentair to fix it anytime soon because they said it's a bug in the hardware and it's difficult to patch at that level. But, you can exchange it for one that doesn't begin with "PNRA1". I also found that if you run a Timer program (instead of manual or schedule), it won't restart the pump, but you have to remember to run it every day, which isn't very handy. lol

Anyway, here's a direct link to the post I first mentioned that discusses the findings and my remedy (got a different "non-PNRA1" unit and it has been working totally flawlessly). Hope it helps. Feel free to ask more questions if needed; I've become intimately acquainted with IntelliConnect!

Intelliconnect restarts Intelliflo VSF every 15 minutes

Reactions: BowserB
Went to Pinch a Penny today and picked up a new IntelliConnect. We opened the box and checked before purchase and it was not a PNRA1 model, so I purchased and installed and everything is operating normally.

So, bottom line is, if you are reading this thread and you have a "PNRA1" device, this is why your pump is cycling every 15 minutes. There is no workaround or fix for manual and schedule programs cycling the pump. But timer programs will not cycle the pump.

Hopefully this will help someone! And thanks so much to everyone who took the time to help out.
Glad you got it worked out. Seems a shame Pentair didn't step up and take responsibility--and at least send out a new board. Of course Pentair is pretty strict/unreasonable about warranties. Installed by an Pentair authorized dealer and get a long warranty. Install yourself and 60 days. You know, I guess you could have connected the RS485, created your program, then disconnected it. Then you could leave it but wouldn't have access to three more programs. I know that would be an issue for me, since we often use manual on/off when using the spa and heater, as well as a 30 minute timer when I want to get chemicals mix outside of scheduled run time.

Maybe you could follow up on your refund request outcome?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glad you got it worked out. Seems a shame Pentair didn't step up and take responsibility--and at least send out a new board. Of course Pentair is pretty strict/unreasonable about warranties. Installed by an Pentair authorized dealer and get a long warranty. Install yourself and 60 days. You know, I guess you could have connected the RS485, created your program, then disconnected it. Then you could leave it but wouldn't have access to three more programs. I know that would be an issue for me, since we often use manual on/off when using the spa and heater, as well as a 30 minute timer when I want to get chemicals mix outside of scheduled run time.

Maybe you could follow up on your refund request outcome?
I had purchased from target.com so I returned it at a store and bought another one at Pinch a Penny. They let me see inside the cover first so I knew it would be good.

I had this issue on my intelliconnect recently. Pentair sent out a tech and they were able to reflash the firmware with little effort. It was also covered under warranty even though I did the initial install myself, which apparently is no bueno per their terms.

The reflash fixed the restart and all systems are nominal now. Don't hesitate to reach out to them if you're having trouble, they stood they their product in my case.

I had this issue on my intelliconnect recently. Pentair sent out a tech and they were able to reflash the firmware with little effort. It was also covered under warranty even though I did the initial install myself, which apparently is no bueno per their terms.

The reflash fixed the restart and all systems are nominal now. Don't hesitate to reach out to them if you're having trouble, they stood they their product in my case.
That's awesome to hear!! Glad they're able to re-flash now. They were beta testing when I was having issues but weren't ready to implement yet.

That's awesome to hear!! Glad they're able to re-flash now. They were beta testing when I was having issues but weren't ready to implement yet.
I have an intelliconnect and was having the same issue, except restarts were random.

I went directly to the pump and changed it from military time back to regular "AM/PM" time and my restarts seem to be fixed. Maybe intelliconnect program has trouble reading military time? Who knows.

I remember changing it to military time in the past, but didn't think it may cause an issue with my intelliconnect.

Let me know if this helps with anyone's issue. Fingers crossed that this simple fix continues to help.

I have an intelliconnect and was having the same issue, except restarts were random.

I went directly to the pump and changed it from military time back to regular "AM/PM" time and my restarts seem to be fixed. Maybe intelliconnect program has trouble reading military time? Who knows.

I remember changing it to military time in the past, but didn't think it may cause an issue with my intelliconnect.

Let me know if this helps with anyone's issue. Fingers crossed that this simple fix continues to help.
Did this fix the issue?

After raising another case with Pentair as well as my local pool provider (who installed the latest Intelliconnect motherboard which happened to be a PNRA1), I got a visit from a local Pentair representative yesterday and they did a software upgrade of the IC. That fixed the pump recycling!

I'll add on my learnings around this topic as of June 2023. I originally had a Pentair Intelliconnect PNRA1 with a manufaturing date of July 2021. I do not have a VSP, but I did get errors in the app about it losing connection every 15 minutes, likely due to the same issue as OP. This caused periodic connection issues when trying to control the unit. I reported to Pentair and they approved a "firmware update" and dispatched a ticket to the local Pentair rep. Turns out the firmware can not be updated, so after several weeks of confusion a technician showed up with a brand new board. It was installed today and appears to fix my problem. Surprisingly, it is also a PNRA1 board with a manufacturing date of May 2023. I assume Pentair has fixed/updated whatever problem was on the early PNRA1 boards but I have no idea how to tell. This one is running Controller Software Version 1.5.2.5 and IoT Software Version 5.64.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.