IntelliConnect or other WiFi?

RAAV

Dec 21, 2021
AZ
My current setup is on a much failing and old X10 configuration. I’m looking to control power on/off for my equipment, mainly to be able to turn on the spa, and possibly be nice to control the Pentair pump’s schedule remotely.

Current setup: Pool/Spa

Main pool pump: Pentair Intelliflo VSF
Salt: CMP Powerclean
Spa pump: Old Hayward that turns on when gas heater turns on
Spa heater: gas Pentair master temp 400 (the temp never changes so I only need to be able to turn it on/off)
Spa motor #1: Silencer Air Blower 2.0 HP 240V 5.5 amp 50/60 cycle
Spa motor #2: QuietFlo Model 82202, 5.8 AMP 220v 2HP (2 wire)

I don’t have much need to control my spa/pool light as I have separate switches for those.

The problem I’ve seen with many Wi-Fi pool setups is they won’t support all my motors/pumps….

Will the IntelliConnect work? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

Welcome to TFP.

The IntelliConnect only has two high voltage relays. It can control your Intelliflo pump using the RS-485 and the heater does not use a relay. However it looks like you have three devices with the two pumps and the blower and the IntelliConnect can only control two devices.

Why do you need that old Hayward pump that turns on with the heater? Your main IntelliFlo pump should be circulating water through the heater.

Post pics of your equipment pad and show us how things are setup.

I’m not sure why the pool was designed with 2 separate pumps.. I never really understood the reason…

This photo should be high enough resolution to see the pipes and layout.

Intelliflo is on the left (white pipe) and spa pump is to the right of my DE filters (black pipe).
0E8DB7DC-21EA-4DCE-B9B8-0E148FACA9EB.jpeg

Looks like you have one pump that does the circulation and filtering for your pool and spa.

The heater can only heat the water in the spa?

I labeled each pipe in the pic below. Can you tell me where the unlabeled black pipes all go to?

Where are the suction and returns in the spa located for the white pump versus the black pump?

RAAV.jpeg

The heater does both pool/spa depending on the valve position. I still don’t understand why there’s a 2nd pump when everything should be fine with the single pump… it’s just plumbed already for 2 motors.

I can’t tell exactly but it looks like the spa/pool suction are the shorter pipes, #1 and #2. I’m not super familiar with that black section (right side), but I do know every pipe on the left side.

I attached 2 better photos, it should be easier to see and the photo does show the spa/pool suction labeled.

Attachments

• 722A5E93-8642-41DC-AE97-AA6F102C4013.jpeg
    722A5E93-8642-41DC-AE97-AA6F102C4013.jpeg
    744 KB · Views: 4
  • A7011A51-261D-4C17-B9E3-37AB1A4C3873.jpeg
    A7011A51-261D-4C17-B9E3-37AB1A4C3873.jpeg
    535.1 KB · Views: 4
9034C858-D430-4CE5-BBFB-DD9647644513.jpegPretty simple setup, besides the general pool/spa items, the water from the spa is what fills up the pool, so it overflows from the spa into the pool. The other thing noteworthy is the rock waterfall feature also has a hole so I can run just the water feature.

You should be able to figure out what returns heated water comes from the black pump versus the returns for the white pump in your pool.

And similarly you can figure out the two white pump spa returns from the two black pump spa returns by manipulating the valves on those pipes.

The one reason for having two pumps depends on how many spa jets you have and the water pressure you want. One pump can provide 6 to 8 jets with a nice amount of water pressure.

I would inventory all the jets in your spa and how many jets are on each of the four spa lines.

If you ever want to do a major replumbing of the equipment you may be able to consolidate all the suction and returns using one pump and automate the pool/spa switching using actuators.

I’m not sure why the pool was designed with 2 separate pumps.. I never really understood the reason…

This photo should be high enough resolution to see the pipes and layout.

Intelliflo is on the left (white pipe) and spa pump is to the right of my DE filters (black pipe).
View attachment 385698
One of the first things that should be done is to replace that flex pipe at the heater with the correct hard piping. Flex won't allow the proper amount of gas through it. Even if that is 5/8" flex, at that length it will only allow about 150K btu of natural gas through it (240K if you use propane). You have a 400K heater and it requires that much gas. Likely you hear a whistle when the heater is running as well.

As to your original question, A Jandy iAqualink RS8 should handle your system. They will communicate with Pentair VSP.

Thanks for the info on the gas. I’ll check that out here soon as I’m going to use the heater in the next week or two. It’s already incredibly fast at heating, so it will be interesting to see what nearly double the output will do!!

It would be fairly interesting to go a fully automated route… i assume that could be done all above ground with reworking the pipes/layout? Any rough rough estimate on just hardware costs for automating valves and such? Looks like the module for all wifi is $1000-$1500.

I was also thinking about leveraging my indoor Wi-Fi switches to work in the outdoor boxes, with one of those Contactor devices behind it to handle the actual load. This gives me wireless for <$200…

Depends if you want to go the roll your own DIY automation route or use an Automation box like the Pentair IntelliCenter or Jandy Aqualink.

This thread describes what some have done...

You can possibly automate your existing setup. You need to put actuators on the suction and return diverter valves for both pumps to automatically switch between POOL and SPA modes. People have said they have successfully controlled two actuators from a single socket. If so you can wire the two suction actuators together and the two return actuators together to be controlled by an automation panel.

Some folks have used WiFi switches to control their pumps....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.