Intellichlor Power center light on but no power to salt generator

Jan 5, 2018
Dixon
My Intellichlor Power Center was installed with pool, about 10 years ago. In July, 2022 I replaced IC 20 salt generator with generic replacement (CFICGEN40) and it has worked fine since then. Now there are no lights on at the salt generator. The led light in the power cell is on so the fuse is good. The power cell output is supposed to be 20 volts, but in the 4 pins it is -6, -6, -8 and +1.2 volts. We are thinking problem is in power center, but not sure, and don't know where to go from here.

Sally,

There are 4 wires that go from the power center to the cell itself. Only two of them actually power the cell, the Red and Black ones.

If you measure between the red and black wires with the cell connected you should get about 35 Volts DC when the cell is making chlorine and about 40 Volts DC when the cell is at rest.

I'd check these numbers with the cell connected and then again with the cell disconnected. A bad cell can easily load down the power center.

The power center card (surge card) should have about 24 Volts AC between the two wires coming from the transformer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: markayash
Thanks for your help. With the cell connected and with it disconnected, the voltage between the red and black wires is 28 volts. For the 2 wires from the transformer, connecting between them gives basically no voltage DC (.006). Testing each wire separately with a ground gives 15 volts DC and 15 to 17 volts AC.

Last edited:
Sally,

When you test the transformer output wires, you should be testing for 24 Volts AC between the two wires.

If you have 28 Volts DC going to the cell then the AC into the surge card is most likely good.

28 Volts DC seems low to me, but I only have my system to compare things with.

Do you still have your original IC40? If so, I would connect it up and see of the lights work or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I suspect that 28 Volts DC is enough to turn the lights on but have no way to know that for sure.

You might want to contact the maker of your cell and ask.

It makes sense that either the new cell is bad or that your surge card is bad, but I have no way to tell for sure which. A new surge card would be cheaper than replacing the cell. I know that my surge card is labeled at 39 Volts DC output. 28 volts DC is a lot less..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Looking at the specs for my power cell output, it says 22 - 39 VDC, so my 28 should be good. I will contact the cell manufacturer and since I got it in July 2022, it should be covered. Thank you for your help. I would like to donate, but when I hit the donate button, I just get taken to the home page and a video. At 14 minutes, I didn't watch the whole thing. Can you tell me how I can do it?

Thanks,
Sally

Sally,

Try this .. Become a TFP Supporter

When I use that link I get no video and when I scroll down I see donation links.

Please let me know if this does not work.

We are all volunteers but donating keeps the site open, and allows people like me to have a place to hang out.

Thanks for the support. :goodjob:

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.