Intellichlor only generating chlorine on SuperChlorinate mode

mach75

Nov 7, 2012
My IC40 stopped generating chlorine last season so I replaced it this year. It was still showing 30% cell life but it was over 5 years old so I assumed it just stopped working.

My old unit never needed to be set any higher than about 15% even on the hottest days.
I keep increasing the output on my new IC40 but it barely seems to produce enough chlorine to keep it at an acceptable level. Its now been set at 75% for about a week.

The cell is brand new and I did clean it and inspect it just to be sure. I’ve taken several water samples down to my pool store and all of the chemicals are at ideal levels. The salt level is good and the water temp is at 85. I just can’t seem to raise the chlorine levels with my SWG.

It did successfully raise the chlorine using the superchlorinate mode but other than that I’ve had no luck. I don’t believe there are any invisible algae blooms since I did just finish a superchlorinate cycle. Has anyone heard of a situation where a cell will only work in superchlorinate mode?

I’m starting to think the problem isn’t the cell since my old IC40 seemed to have the same issue. I have the Easytouch panel and I did test the voltage from the transformer. I have 240 volts going in and the transformer is putting out 13-15 Volts AC. From what I’ve read this may be a bit on the low side but the voltage going to the cell is about 27 volts which seems to be within spec. Does this sound like it could be a power issue? The cell isn’t indicating any issues and the easytouch diagnosis page isn’t showing any faults.

Thanks for the help

The output of the transformer is about 27 Volts AC... The output of the power supply card mounted to the back wall of the EasyTouch is about 40 Volts DC when the SWCG is not making chlorine and about 35 Volts DC when it is making chlorine.

If the voltage was "bad" super-chlorinate would not work either..

Sounds more like algae to me..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.