intellichlor on wrong pump circuit

jeremystitt

Jun 20, 2021
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have a new pool (no spa) with a pentair intellicenter system. I have two pumps on separate circuits, one for the main filter and one for an in-floor cleaning system.

My intellichlor comes on with the cleaning pump, but this is incorrect because it is in the water line of the filter pump.

I assume it has been connected to the wrong circuit. Where would I find documentation on how to change this to the correct circuit?

Jermy,

The AC power to the IntelliChlor's transformer must be wired to the load side of the Pump/Filter relay in the IntelliCenter.

Show us some pics of the IntelliCenter's relay and circuit breaker area...

Thanks,

Jim R.

To help out the experts, post a picture of your current wiring/relay setup inside your Intellicenter so they can point you in the right direction.
Actually - your post helped. I just opened up the panel and realized the intellichlor is wired to the wrong pump relay. I feel confident that moving the white/yellow wires to the relay for the correct filter pump will resolve the issue. Thanks

Jeremy,

In "theory" the pump/filter relay should be located in the upper left of the cabinet.. This is what the door diagram shows.. This allows the "next guy" to have a clue which relay is which..

Unfortunately, some installers are rather lazy and to make their job easier they use their own relay layout pattern.

I would double check to make sure that the coil wire from relay you are going to use is plugged into the Pump/Filter plug on the main board.

If the markings at the bottom of the cabinet are correct, then the red relay is the filter pump.

I "assume" that your Filter Pump is a single speed pump... Is that true?? If it is a VS pump it should be getting constant AC power with no relay involved.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: jeremystitt
Jeremy,

In "theory" the pump/filter relay should be located in the upper left of the cabinet.. This is what the door diagram shows.. This allows the "next guy" to have a clue which relay is which..

Unfortunately, some installers are rather lazy and to make their job easier they use their own relay layout pattern.

I would double check to make sure that the coil wire from relay you are going to use is plugged into the Pump/Filter plug on the main board.

If the markings at the bottom of the cabinet are correct, then the red relay is the filter pump.

I "assume" that your Filter Pump is a single speed pump... Is that true?? If it is a VS pump it should be getting constant AC power with no relay involved.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for your reply Jim.

You are correct - both pumps are single speed.

You are also correct about the wiring - the installers were confused about which pump is which. The Red relay controls the cleaner pump, the blue relay controls the filter pump. The CP/FP markings on the bottom of the cabinet are reversed. I did confirm that the blue relay is connected to the filter pump plug on the main control board (which is nice to know that part was at least correct). The pool on/off switch actually does control the filter pump and I believe this is why.

This has caused many issues that we've since corrected without re-wiring. I would have also thought the filter pump relay was important because it is labeled everywhere as such and in this case it isn't used.

I'm certain the Intellichlor was connected to the wrong relay and I've just now noticed that it's only on when the cleaner pump runs.

So I think other than the fact that the way this was wired and labeled is entirely backward, it sounds like once I move the intellichlor power over to the correct relay, I won't have to worry about damaging my intellichlor when the cleaner pump runs and the filter pump is off.

Jeremy,

I have an EasyTouch, not the IntelliCenter, but they are very similar in operation.. The Pumps section is more about assigning speeds to specific circuits, more for VS or VF pumps..

I don't see how that applies to single speed pumps..

On a side note... I am really surprised that with an IntelliCenter that your main pool pump is not an IntelliFlo... Especially since you have a SWCG. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey Jim! Just wanted to come back to say thanks for your help. Sometime in July the pool guys came back and fixed the wiring for the SWCG and now it gets power with the correct main filter pump. Since that issue was corrected everything with the pool is working great. Your replies helped me clearly explain the issue so the repair guys would know exactly what to fix. Thank you sir!

Reactions: Jimrahbe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.