Chesapeake/Va
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Have been incrementally increasing SWG % output recently to have FC levels at an ideal range. At first I thought it was just hotter than normal, perhaps stronger UV….but my CYA is at an ideal range (i think)

It seems as though the FC are getting harder to maintain in the pool despite SWG having been set at 45% or more for a week and pump running 24/7 as variable speeds through the day. I had hoped to run my salt cell at 25-35% with my CYA levels….but that has not been the case

All lights are green and fine, no error message. Cell is clean, no scaling. Pool is clean. CYA is in ideal range and flow is strong.

Tested my water with my K-2006. New pool; only been running 2 months.

Here are results:
FC: 1.0 ppm
CC: 0.2 ppm
Ph: 7.4
Ta: 110 ppm
CYA: 65 ppm
CH: 200 ppm
Salt: 3,800 ppm

Approximately 27K Gallons
Pentair IC40 SWG
Salt Cell output: 45%

Pump running 24 hours per day at various speeds, lower speed during the day, high speed at night.

One ONE of my returns closest to salt cell…..i do see bubbles.

Last edited:
R,

At 50% does the "Cell" light come on for 2.5 minutes and then off for 2.5 minute, etc.???

Is the cell light flashing?

Is this a standalone IC40, or do you have an automation system?

What level are you trying to keep your FC??

Thanks,

Jim R.

R,

At 50% does the "Cell" light come on for 2.5 minutes and then off for 2.5 minute, etc.???

Is the cell light flashing?

Is this a standalone IC40, or do you have an automation system?

What level are you trying to keep your FC??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the quick reply.

For automation, I have an Pentair Easy Touch Panel.

As far as the cell lights; I have never seen any lights on the cell turn on/off over any period of time….unless I turn pump off for cleaning basket.

Salt Level GREEN (steady)
Cell Status: GREEN (Steady)
Flow: GREEN (steady)
Sanitizer: Two Green Lights (steady)

For the FC Target Levels I was using the FC/CYA dummy chart on this site, I believe it says about recommended levels is about 3ppm

Last edited:
At 45% output and 24 hour operation you are adding less than 3 ppm FC per day to the pool. You likely need to add a bit more during the peak of summer.
Add liquid chlorine to bring your FC to at least 6 ppm and raise your output to 60% and see if things hold better.

At 45% output and 24 hour operation you are adding less than 3 ppm FC per day to the pool. You likely need to add a bit more during the peak of summer.
Add liquid chlorine to bring your FC to at least 6 ppm and raise your output to 60% and see if things hold better.
Thanks! Ill try that out.

Just out of curiosity….is it stressful on the SWG to run at 65% all summer? I thought the idea to be at a higher level CYA was to lower the stress on the SWG. Im a noob….so I really dont know.

The SWCG has a finite number of chlorine generating hours. About 10000. It does not care if you use those hours at 10% or 100%. So 1 hour at 100% is equivalent to 10 hours at 10%. Both have the same effect on the SWCG.

R,

Please take 10 minutes and set your SWCG output to 50%, then go and stare at the SWCG's "Cell" light. If the cell is working properly, the cell light will be on for about 2.5 minutes and then it will be off for 2.5 minutes, and then back on for 2.5 minutes. etc.

At 50%, if the light never goes out something is wrong with the cell.

Is your Pool or Spa circuit programmed to be on 24/7? I ask, because the cell will not make chlorine unless you are in the Pool mode or the Spa mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.