IntelliChlor not displaying salt level in IntelliTouch

CountyBumkin

Bronze Supporter
Apr 3, 2016
Orlando FL
I have a Salt Cell (IntelliChlor IC40) connected to a Pentair Acid dispenser (IntellipH). It used to display the salt reading correctly (i.e. like 3000) in the IntelliTouch display and IntellipH display, but now I just get a 0 salt level. So I removed the IntellipH and just connected IntelliChlor directly to the InetlliChlor power supply and IntelliTouch and I'm still getting a "0" for salt level reading.

The IntelliChlor unit it self shows the salt level is okay (green light On) - it's just not displaying on the IntelliTouch display.
Lastly, the IntelliChlor IC40 unit is new (less than 12 months old).

What could be wrong?
What could block the salt level reading from displaying outside of the IntelliChlor unit?

.Pentair equipment hookup.JPG

CB,

This is a known issue with Pentair's salt system in past year or so.. There are plenty of threads about it.

If under warranty, just let Pentair know and they will come fix it..

If out of warranty, you can spend money to fix it, but the cell works just fine and your should never trust what the cell reports anyway... If out of warranty, I would just live with it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Had this issue with a nearly new cell after having no such issues with my 6 year old cell. I had a new spare flow sensor laying around and I swapped it in to see if it worked. Sure enough the temperature portion of the flow sensor was bad causing the zero reading. After the swap, every is reading accurately within 100ppm of my Taylor drop test.

Pentair replaced the first cell under under warranty - would this new/replacement cell then be under warranty too?
Meaning does the warranty period only cover the time from the original cell purchase - or does it start over with each replacement cell?

Had this issue with a nearly new cell after having no such issues with my 6 year old cell. I had a new spare flow sensor laying around and I swapped it in to see if it worked. Sure enough the temperature portion of the flow sensor was bad causing the zero reading. After the swap, every is reading accurately within 100ppm of my Taylor drop test.

Stang,

The problem of course, is same problem has also been fixed by simply rebooting the system, replacing the main Board in the EasyTouch/IntelliTouch, replacing the SWCG power supply, and of course replacing he entire SWCG.. There have been several cases were the flow switch has "fixed" the problem, but there have been several where it did not help... Keep in mind that this is not the same failure where the cells reads a salt level, but it is either high or low... a wrong reading is almost always the salt cell, the zero reading can be almost anything..

Not saying don't try it, it can hurt anything...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I spoke with Pentair today. They said my current cell (dated 7/30/2018) is not under warranty because it was installed when the original IC40 failed and the warranty starts on the date of the original purchase.. It doesn't start over with each replacement (that makes sense).

So he suggested I replace the flow switch - if that doesn't fix it t hen I have to buy a new unit (no warranty coverage remains).

cb,

I would replace the flow switch because they are cheap... I would not buy a new cell because the problem is not really all that important, as the cell itself works just fine for making chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

As long as the cell itself is showing that the salinity is ok, you don't need a new cell. You just won't be able to monitor the actual salinity.

Maybe make a warranty claim for a defective automation system instead of assuming that it's the cell that's bad.

Or, maybe try installing an external temperature sensor and connecting that to the cell instead of the temperature sensor in the flow switch.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.