Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Moved from here.
Can I ask a similar question here? I have ic40, most the time the lights are all green and other times, there is no lights at all. When that happens it shows the no comm on the easy touch. When I run test(hold button 3 seconds) it only shows that 20 percent has been used. Could it show this in error? Or is that test reliable? Is there any way to test if it's going bad? I don't want to drop 900 bucks on one of these at all. Thank you for any advice.

I am not sure what pool mode is? I turn pump on after cleaning basket, on easy touch. It starts up, sometimes the lights come on and other times they don't at all.

Adam,

How old is the cell?

The cell is supposed to shut off any time you are not in the Pool mode or Spa mode. The light cell is also supposed to shut off any time you are in the Service mode.

Show me your schedule from ScreenLogic..

Like this.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have screen logic, but it doesn't have internet set up because I don't have a router I can plug into it. This was all here when I purchased the home in January. It does shut off when not in pool mode, I'm assuming that's where you run the pump. Also, sometimes the cell shows green other times it doesn't light up at all, while the rest is green.

In assuming it's 3 to 5 years old, the pool is 5 years old. Would it show only 20 percent has been used if its really been 100 percent?

Also, sometimes the cell shows green other times it doesn't light up at all, while the rest is green.

Adam,

Are you saying that the "Cell" light is green sometimes and not green other times?

The Cell light only turns green when the cell is making chlorine. When set at 50% output, the cell light will be on (green) for 2.5 minutes and then off for 2.5 minutes. At 50% the cell is only making chlorine about 50% of the time it is on.

I would not put a lot of faith in the % used reading. It does not mean much if cell has an electronics failure.

What is making you look at the lights to begin with? Is the cell not making chlorine? If so, how do you know?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I added salt for first time ever per leslies results. I can't tell if it making chlorine or not, but I read the lights shoukd be green not flashing. You just cleared up the cell light for me which had me worried. When there are no lights at all and pool has been running for an hour, I thought maybe it's dying. The cell light being off at times had me thinking that was the case. If it shows good salt level, and good flow, when it is lit up does that mean it's working? Is there a way to test if it's operating properly other than that test? I'm going back to have water tested again tomorrow and I guess they'll tell me if the chlorine numbers went up or not.

Adam,

When the cell starts up, it will do what I call a "Railroad Crossing" dance. The lights flash red and green while the cell is calibrating its salinity test. It will do it again in about 12 hour.. This is a normal start up routine.

TFP's main purpose in life is to teach homeowners how to maintain their own pools. No one can do the same job that you can do.

Pool $store testing is notoriously wrong at least half the time. I personally would not go into a Leslie's just to use their bathroom.. :mrgreen:

I suggest that you take a good read through our Pool School... and see what we are all about.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I know I need to do my own testing and I'm going to get there, right now I'm trying to figure out why all the lights are off at times and all on at other times, as it's confusing me. I see the red and green flahsing lights then at times it's all green, then other times I go out and they're all off after having ran for hours. Can I ask you are the salt cells interchangeable? Or do I need to stay with a pentair? Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Adam,

Since you have an EasyTouch, it would not make a lot of sense to try to use another cell.

Your best bet is to quit guessing at how it works and start to learn how your system actually works.

I'd be glad to try and help.

Step one is for you to tell me what your schedules are. Somehow you are controlling your EasyTouch. I assume by phone. If so, just tell me what schedules are running and when.

It should show things like this..

Pool - 8 am until 8 pm

Cleaner 9 am until 10 am

Etc..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: TexEdmond
Ok Jim, I use the easy touch for scheduling. My options are low pump, high pump and booster pump. Low 7pm to 3 am, high 4 to 7 pm and 8 am to 5 pm. Booster runs two half hour times because it controls myreturn on the wall that the skim is connected to. The hayward vaccum is connected to the skimmer line and is in all the time. When I cleaned my cartridges I was getting 17 psi, now it's down to 9 or 10 psi, and the vaccum runs slower. Not sure if that's good or bad?

I resolved the psi issue, the motor of the pump had a lot of debris and I used a hook to dig it out, so that's better. I think I'm starting to understand the chlorinator as well. My primary issue now is that of my 13 pop up heads for in floor cleaner only 3 ever pop up, same three. I purchased a metal tool to remove the blue square heads and the forst one bent the metal on the tool and didn't budge. If I could get those to all work my circulation would be a lot better. I'm also trying to find panty hose that will fit in the skim to catch fine debris like Pollen, my neighbor has trees that all day long drop leaves and debris into my yard.

Please add that you have an In Floor Cleaning System to your signature.

Do you have regular pool returns or only the infloor returns?
Ok changed signature, I have two returns on the wall by the steps and 13 in floor returns. It seems only one wall return has any pressure. The one that works has a poolskim attached, and with 3 pop ups working I have next to no circulation. I use the spa spillway, and waterfall feature to get any circulation I can get.

Attachments

• 16515189822041647276491331263304.jpg
    16515189822041647276491331263304.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Also the only time the wall returns are on, is when the booster pump is running, the valve controls the pressure to either the wall returns or the waterfall, depending on where you turn it. I think that's strange. And another valve can be turned between the spa therapy jets and the in floor cleaner.

Ok nevermind, this is supposed to be the forum for the best pool advice but it's like pulling teethe, to get accurate advice from these old folks. REDDIT has proven a better source for accurate information.

To address your initial question, if it's installed correctly, the panel will power off anytime the pump isn't running. This is a critical safety function; if the cell operates without proper water flow, it can explode. When you notice the lights off, is the pump also off? Honestly though, it really doesn't matter whether the lights stay on at the panel of your salt cell. The only thing that matters is whether it's putting the correct amount of chlorine into your water. You probably don't need to buy another one, and even if it was under warranty, the people at Pentair are going to ask you exactly the same questions that have already been asked in this thread. We recommend getting a reliable test kit and using the app to track progress and calculate chemicals. There's dozens of threads about panel glitches and how to program the system. We can try to explain it to you, but we can't understand it for you. And we DEFINITELY can't push buttons and set up the system. That's got to happen where you are.

To address your second issue with the fellow members of the website, well that might be a little different process. I've been here about a year now and definitely had some issues getting into the flow of how things work here. I've personally had strong words and disagreements with both Jim and Marty on occasion, and it was almost entirely due to my own ego and ignorance. That being said, I'd put just the two of their collective knowledge and willingness to teach above all the other DIY internet pool forums combined. If Reddit gives you more responses and that's what you need, you're welcome to try that website, and we'll happily welcome you back if they don't help you keep your pool water clear. Consider two users in this thread have over 70,000 posts among them, and it's just amazing watching them and the rest of the dedicated members of this site help time and time again. It'd make sense that with all the work they do here and on their own pools that they'd be asleep after midnight. We don't do conflict here, we don't do drama. We do easy, clean pool water. Join us when you're ready. Seriously, the only thing anybody here gives a darn about is helping folks keep their pool water clear. It's a little bit spooky.

Last edited:
Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.