In The Industry
May 21, 2021
Austin
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Please know there are new intellicenters. Pentair has not trained technicians about newer connections. You do not need the power adapter module. You use the tan ethernet cord. but you dont use some of the other connectors they included in the package. Their install literature is not accurate. I talking about wireless connection. I went through 3 technicians, pd two of them, and they had not clue. The first install person did not install ethernet, and ALL of them insisted we needed the $500 adapter. WRONG WRONG WRONG. (sorry can you hear my month long frustration). don't hesitate to reach out. I can save you hours of. headaches. I know all there is to know now about intellicenter and programing it as well. I might go to work for Pentair at this point.

Thanks for the info. Has Pentair issued a new set of part numbers for this new type of IntelliCenter? How is it distinguished from the “older or previous” model? IntelliCenters are in high demand and very hard to find so interested to know how do you know which one may be received.

The IntelliCenter hardware is no different and has an Ethernet port on the board. Wireless connectivity is obtained using a separate wireless bridge. The older models shipped with an EnGenuis ENS202EXT. This external wireless bridge was problematic so Pentair started shipping with a 3rd party device and most likely < $100. In fact if you have problems with the old one Pentair will ship you the new one.

@rstrouse,

I do not have an IntelliCenter but here to learn...

Would I be correct saying that on all IntelliCenters, you can run a Ethernet cable from your house to the Main board in the IntelliCenter and this would connect the IntelliCenter to your network.. Or, you can use a Wireless Bridge.. I "assume" one side of the bridge plugs into the Main board's Ethernet port and the other side plugs into your house network..

Is this true?

Did the older EnGenuis unit have a "power adapter"??? I assume that the new Bridge does not.. Is this true..

BTW, thanks for all your help with the IntelliCenter questions..

Jim R.

Yes the base board which is installed in all IntelliCenter models is the i5P. It has a 10/100 ethernet port on it. This does not need anything else to connect to the LAN. Plug it in and off you go. A wireless bridge acts as a WiFi device on the network then supplies its own connectivity by routing all the wired traffic connected to it through the WiFi connection.

The EnGenius uses a POE injector (24v passive) that is powered off a tap on the i5P and I believe the new bridge connects to the same power that the EnGenius connects to. Honestly, if I didn't have mine hardwired I would have pitched the lame supplied bridge(s) and installed my own. Heck if you have a mesh network why not put an outdoor mesh node on the pad. If your mesh provider doesn't have an outdoor one get a Nema box and install the mesh node in that then hardwire between the node and IntelliCenter. In the end it is less expensive, provides more reliable coverage, and it can be managed. I played around with the EnGenius only to realize that it needed rebooted if the WiFi dropped since it would fall out of bridge mode. It should be called EnIdiot.

Thanks for the info. Has Pentair issued a new set of part numbers for this new type of IntelliCenter? How is it distinguished from the “older or previous” model? IntelliCenters are in high demand and very hard to find so interested to know how do you know which one may be received.
I have not idea, I was not sure either, I did read. here on TFP I think about intellicenters shipped after Jan 2021 were the new ones that did no require the extra part. I believe. maybe someone can help with that date.

Yes the base board which is installed in all IntelliCenter models is the i5P. It has a 10/100 ethernet port on it. This does not need anything else to connect to the LAN. Plug it in and off you go. A wireless bridge acts as a WiFi device on the network then supplies its own connectivity by routing all the wired traffic connected to it through the WiFi connection.

The EnGenius uses a POE injector (24v passive) that is powered off a tap on the i5P and I believe the new bridge connects to the same power that the EnGenius connects to. Honestly, if I didn't have mine hardwired I would have pitched the lame supplied bridge(s) and installed my own. Heck if you have a mesh network why not put an outdoor mesh node on the pad. If your mesh provider doesn't have an outdoor one get a Nema box and install the mesh node in that then hardwire between the node and IntelliCenter. In the end it is less expensive, provides more reliable coverage, and it can be managed. I played around with the EnGenius only to realize that it needed rebooted if the WiFi dropped since it would fall out of bridge mode. It should be called EnIdiot.
ya, what he said.

Please know there are new intellicenters. Pentair has not trained technicians about newer connections. You do not need the power adapter module. You use the tan ethernet cord. but you dont use some of the other connectors they included in the package. Their install literature is not accurate. I talking about wireless connection. I went through 3 technicians, pd two of them, and they had not clue. The first install person did not install ethernet, and ALL of them insisted we needed the $500 adapter. WRONG WRONG WRONG. (sorry can you hear my month long frustration). don't hesitate to reach out. I can save you hours of. headaches. I know all there is to know now about intellicenter and programing it as well. I might go to work for Pentair at this point.
Hello. Is there anyway I cam connect you. We have a wireless kit from pentair and we are trying to install it. It did not come with 2 of the items listed in the kit and haven't had any luck with pentair.

Thank you for the confirmation, I was hoping that the new Intellicenters did have power at the Ethernet port on the mother board. I will be doing this tomorrow and will reply back again... I been spinning my head for days now looking for the power module on line, same for the 24VDC power cord. I have the screenlogic 2 kit which my contractor dumped on me and it doesn't have any of these connectors. Whats with the Tan ethernet cable? I don't have that either, I have other ethernet cables that I will use. Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello. Is there anyway I cam connect you. We have a wireless kit from pentair and we are trying to install it. It did not come with 2 of the items listed in the kit and haven't had any luck with pentair.
my concern ended up being....ethernet cord not plugged in to outside antena.... note sure if you need help still sorry for late response

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.