Intellicenter can't connect to network (Unifi network)

dcf

Jul 19, 2020
Menlo Park ,CA
Hello!
My pool renovation (including equipment upgrade) is nearly complete but am running into a snafu with connection my Intellicenter to my home network.
I can see my home network but when I try to connect and then run an internet test it fails.

I have a unifi network and have a suspicion that this could be the root of the issue. I have 4 access points and the Intellicenter is showing each of these as a separate network (each with the same name). Every other client I have sees them as a single network (as they should). I'm guessing this has something to do with the issues in connecting. It looks like connection isn't even being established as when I look at my Unifi dashboard it doesn't show history of the Unifi connecting.

Has anyone run into this or does anyone have a suggested fix?

Thanks!

I've seen many having similar/same issues. Myself included. It all boils down to Ubiquiti's pretend managed infrastructure. Most multi-AP WiFi deployments have some sort of RF management. UniFi does not. It's not too bad if your client is obviously going to prefer a single AP, but if you're in range of multiple you see exactly what you described.

Each client has a set of rules (round trip time, signal strength, 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz, channel width, etc.) to determine which to select, the problem is they often will connect/disconnect repeatedly seeking the 'best' option. In the mean time, the application isn't aware of anything other than it can't communicate.

The "solution" is to basically engineer your network in such a way that finicky clients are 'pinned' to a specific radio. Some people accomplish this by segmenting their network using different SSID's for different devices. For instance, you could setup a "Pool stuff" SSID, and only enable a single AP on 2.4GHz 20MHz.

Reactions: cmc0619
I've seen many having similar/same issues. Myself included. It all boils down to Ubiquiti's pretend managed infrastructure. Most multi-AP WiFi deployments have some sort of RF management. UniFi does not. It's not too bad if your client is obviously going to prefer a single AP, but if you're in range of multiple you see exactly what you described.

Each client has a set of rules (round trip time, signal strength, 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz, channel width, etc.) to determine which to select, the problem is they often will connect/disconnect repeatedly seeking the 'best' option. In the mean time, the application isn't aware of anything other than it can't communicate.

The "solution" is to basically engineer your network in such a way that finicky clients are 'pinned' to a specific radio. Some people accomplish this by segmenting their network using different SSID's for different devices. For instance, you could setup a "Pool stuff" SSID, and only enable a single AP on 2.4GHz 20MHz.
Thank you! This did the trick. I setup a pool specific SSID and only enabled it on the AP closest to the Intellicenter. After doing that it connect no problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.