Intellibrite 5G burned out?

LgHorn

Nov 21, 2016
Cedar Park, TX
Hi folks - I have two standard size Pentair Intellibrite 5G color LEDs installed in Feb 2016 during our new build, also a smaller one in the spa. They run for several hours each night on automation. Never had a problem until just a few weeks ago when the light in the deep end went out. It still has a faint green glow when on, but is otherwise non-functional. I called a reputable pool service company (no longer use our PB for various reasons) and was informed it's quite common for these to go out around the 3-4 year mark. I would think LEDs only running a few hours per day would last for many years.

Is it common for these to go out in such a relatively short period of time? Is there anything to check such as loose wiring or anything on the controller side? I find it odd there is a faint glow in the bulb vs being completely out, but perhaps that's how these things work?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Do a search and you will find lots of threads about the short life of the Intellibrite LED lights. The driver electronics tend to fail not the LEDs.

LgHorn

Nov 21, 2016
Cedar Park, TX
Do a search and you will find lots of threads about the short life of the Intellibrite LED lights. The driver electronics tend to fail not the LEDs.
Thanks @ajw22 - I will try to search further, but are you suggesting there may be an electrical component issue vs the light/bulb itself having burnt out? The lights all run to the same Pentair EasyTouch controller and electrical panel, so if this may be an electrical issue I can call in my electrician vs pool service guy.

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
The light doesn't have a bulb, its a light engine with LEDs on it. The driver goes bad and the light no longer works.

Here's the driver:

They are pricey and still prone to failure.

Alternatively you can look into something like this:

Unfortunately there are lots of reports of these lights falling

Last edited:
Reactions: LgHorn

flaled

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
May 26, 2018
Pompano Beach, Florida
Depending if you have the 12 or 120v version longevity of the board varies. the 120v versions have a transformer hidden in the epoxy below the board. check the output voltage on the wires. spec is 11-14 vac.

flaled

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
May 26, 2018
Pompano Beach, Florida
12v as the transformer is external. when you switch from 120 to 12 it generates heat. external vents to atmosphere, internal gets trapped inside light and runs hot which makes board fail faster.

Reactions: staze