Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
It’s that time of year where all the stores are out of chlorine- at least the good stuff. I hate buying the weak forms. Is this stuff an option? Or do I have to go with Walmart Crud. Think in terms of slam.

Attachments

• IMG_2565.png
    IMG_2565.png
    400.1 KB · Views: 18
It’s that time of year where all the stores are out of chlorine- at least the good stuff. I hate buying the weak forms. Is this stuff an option? Or do I have to go with Walmart Crud

What do you mean by Walmart Crud? This is $6 delivered to my door. The only place that beat this price are local grocery stores clearing out their excess inventory a few weeks ago:

The product you linked to is CalHypo and has conflicting information about how it affects FC. If you want to experiment and report back using your test kit, it would be wildly appreciated!

CalHypo by itself shouldn't affect FC negatively, but you don't get 100% CalHypo - CalHypo comes in different strengths and fillers or anti caking agents used in certain brands of straight calcium sometimes consume FC - but you don't know what you are going to get!

Last edited:
Reactions: kul
That’s not crud. I actually looked for that but was given a ridiculous price. I will look again! I meant the weak regular bleach.

I’ve seen that they’ve gone up on price. Terrible. Hope you find another good source. Do you have a Hasa supplier near you? They usually sell the 12.5% in refillable plastic containers. Sometimes it can be a good deal in comparison to the big box stores.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am curious what geography has to do with calcium?

Or is that that SoCal water is known to be hard and has more than necessary and sufficient calcium that a plaster pool would require for all practical reasons?
What is your CH level?
Pretty much anywhere with hard water doesn't need to add calcium. Even if your CH is on the low side of the recommended range, with hard hard and evaporation it will increase.

When is your test kit scheduled to arrive?

Use PoolMath and track CSI.
LSI is meant for boilers - CSI is better suited for pools.

Reactions: plnewb
It’s that time of year where all the stores are out of chlorine- at least the good stuff. I hate buying the weak forms. Is this stuff an option? Or do I have to go with Walmart Crud. Think in terms of slam.

The recommended sanitizer is: Sodium hypochlorite (SH), commonly known in a dilute solution as (chlorine) bleach. Preferred concentration is 12.5%, 10%, or the highest concentration you can get, without adding "fluff" found in laundry aisle bleach products (colorizers, odorizers, etc).

For Spring Opening, Winter Closing, or to supplement my SWCG, supply choices for Liquid Chlorine are sometimes limited, so I anticipate my demand in the spring and purchase my initial need at BJ's (12.5%). Depending on their stock, I may need to get some refill at Wally Mart (10%). If I were still operating totally on Liquid, I have found a local Pressure Washer supply that I would use for Bulk purchase. (I asked a pressure washing "guy" working on my street where he sourced his SH, and he told me .... Maybe that could work for you?) :cool:

Reactions: Mdragger88
I need to update my sig as the kit arrived weeks ago, I completed SLAM to a crystal clear pool now but I will create a new thread so that I don't make the OP upset for distracting people from their thread :D
Great - then what is your CH?

Better yet, use PoolMath and share your logs directly to the forum so we can see all your test results.

I’ve seen that they’ve gone up on price. Terrible. Hope you find another good source. Do you have a Hasa supplier near you? They usually sell the 12.5% in refillable plastic containers. Sometimes it can be a good deal in comparison to the big box stores.
I don’t. I love Menards. But they are out! I found some at Walmart. Delivery tomorrow!

Where are you in IL? Post a zip code...bet we can find you some at a good price.
I tried to use the find chlorine link- it wasn’t working. But, the forum did help! I was searching Walmart and the only thing that came up was over $17 for 2 gal. Someone posted their link- and bam. Delivery tomorrow. I was at Menards last week and they had tons. Today- none. 🤷‍♀️. This is what happens when you live in IL and keep you pool open later I guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.