Installing SWG ourselves?

^^^^agreed thats a sloppy mess over mulch no less. hopefully theres concrete pads in there and the mulch is over that. otherwise might be time to get at least a plastic pad if not pour one. you are gonna have to do some digging anyway to install the SWG and if you do new pump you want a longer straight run into it not a 90 at the inlet. it can all be cleaned up and made nice with a little effort no worries

Ok good. I'm going to get my husband on this board to read everything because he probably understands most of what you guys are saying and I'm completely overwhelmed.

In terms of the heater, since we don't use it at all and never have because the previous owners told us it doesn't work, I'm not sure about outlet etc.

In terms of the heater, since we don't use it at all and never have because the previous owners told us it doesn't work, I'm not sure about outlet etc.

You have to know which is the heater outlet to know which pipe you will be cutting to insert your SWG.

Reactions: BabsNMK
Ok so we've decided to do this ourselves after he jumped on here. Since you guys seem to like the Circupool for self-install I'm going that route, but is there any feedback on their pump? They have that package for $1299 for both the SWG and Pump, but I'll go with a different pump if necessary.

I put a Circupool swcg in a year ago (self install). Since you have an electrician friend, my advice on the pump is get a timer (if you don't have one) and run the pump an appropriate amount of time until it dies. That's your best value (even when you take into account the electricity costs). I'm in southern NY and we have such a short swim season your best value is use the existing pump. You should only need to run it 6 hrs a day so set the swcg to put out the chlorine you need during that time. In other areas it makes sense to buy a new pump or spend the money on a VS but here it's hard to justify even a 2 speed for the extra money. I did an analysis on a VS. It would take me years to break even (best case scenario). The circupool is easy to wire (an electrician will have no issue with it whatsoever). As someone in the same climate as you, I'd look to get a new heater or that one repaired for next year. You'll extend your swim season so you can be open and swimming comfortable from mid-May to mid-October. :)

Ok so we've decided to do this ourselves after he jumped on here. Since you guys seem to like the Circupool for self-install I'm going that route, but is there any feedback on their pump? They have that package for $1299 for both the SWG and Pump, but I'll go with a different pump if necessary.

Babs,

I installed a Circupool on my 5 year IG pool about a month ago. It was easy peasy. I didn't do the pump at the same time. That's a little harder but shouldn't be a big problem. I've had a lot of questions about my install of the SWG and I've pasted my "lessons learned" below.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

I'm thrilled with the RJ+. No complaints at all. Install was easy peasy and I wish I had done it a long time ago. It is putting out plenty of FC at 35% power and matches pool math production output predictions very closely. I wondered a little about this because all the manufacturers use the same basic chemistry and catalysts. Here's what did that may help:

• I would suggest you get the maintenance kit. This provides a spool-piece that can be inserted in the pipe while you have the cell out for maintenance. It is also very handy for the PVC work since it's lighter and has no wire coming out. Once you fit it up with the spool piece in you can take it out and replace with the cell. It will fit perfectly. All of the cell manufacturers use unions with unique threads so you can't just make this up yourself with standard PVC pipe fittings. They had a special on the kit that was dirt cheap as an add-on.
  • I used the salt test strips. Easiest strip test I've ever used. It's not a color shade test. The strip is graduated and you look for where the distinct yellow color stops on the strip. Also you have a black line that "develops" at the top to be sure the test has had time. After the black line appears the strip reads the exactly the same days later.
  • I used Morton's pool salt. A couple of bucks more expensive but it dissolved very quickly. Definitely do this in the shallow end. It's easier to make a couple of sweeps and then it's completely gone. I did vacuum up a couple of very small piles of sand a couple of days later. I guess that's the non-salt remainder of 99.7%.
  • The wall unit only has a 6' cord. Make sure you position it close enough to the power for this to work. Not a big problem but if you have to route around a few other things 6' doesn't go too far.
  • Don't forget to hook up the bonding wire, I did - had to get the bonding wire and lug connectors at HD.
  • I powered mine in the Jandy iAqualink box to a spare relay powered from the pool pump power relay. This way I can make minor adjustments to the run time with my wifi remote. As the cell ages I'll need to adjust the % power at the wall unit but this should be very infrequent. Also it's easy to make sure the SWG is not running in SPA mode. It makes way to much chlorine for the spa.
  • I started at 30% on power instead of 50% since the unit has 2x capacity using TFP recommendations. Bumped it up to 35% and it was adjusted to give me very constant FC in just a couple of days.
I think that's all I have. If you have any additional specific questions just let me know. I'm very happy with the choice so far!

Chris

Click on the RJ-45 and then change the upgrade box below to the RJ-60. It looks like you save like two hundred bucks that way unless I am reading it wrong.

I put a Circupool swcg in a year ago (self install). Since you have an electrician friend, my advice on the pump is get a timer (if you don't have one) and run the pump an appropriate amount of time until it dies. That's your best value (even when you take into account the electricity costs). I'm in southern NY and we have such a short swim season your best value is use the existing pump. You should only need to run it 6 hrs a day so set the swcg to put out the chlorine you need during that time. In other areas it makes sense to buy a new pump or spend the money on a VS but here it's hard to justify even a 2 speed for the extra money. I did an analysis on a VS. It would take me years to break even (best case scenario). The circupool is easy to wire (an electrician will have no issue with it whatsoever). As someone in the same climate as you, I'd look to get a new heater or that one repaired for next year. You'll extend your swim season so you can be open and swimming comfortable from mid-May to mid-October. :)
That’s a good idea. Probably would save me a lot right now. I heard from a local pool guy that the state is potentially making it a requirement to have all pool pumps VS within two years (a new law), but I guess there would be no way to punish pool owners with preexisting pumps.

Babs,

I installed a Circupool on my 5 year IG pool about a month ago. It was easy peasy. I didn't do the pump at the same time. That's a little harder but shouldn't be a big problem. I've had a lot of questions about my install of the SWG and I've pasted my "lessons learned" below.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

I'm thrilled with the RJ+. No complaints at all. Install was easy peasy and I wish I had done it a long time ago. It is putting out plenty of FC at 35% power and matches pool math production output predictions very closely. I wondered a little about this because all the manufacturers use the same basic chemistry and catalysts. Here's what did that may help:

• I would suggest you get the maintenance kit. This provides a spool-piece that can be inserted in the pipe while you have the cell out for maintenance. It is also very handy for the PVC work since it's lighter and has no wire coming out. Once you fit it up with the spool piece in you can take it out and replace with the cell. It will fit perfectly. All of the cell manufacturers use unions with unique threads so you can't just make this up yourself with standard PVC pipe fittings. They had a special on the kit that was dirt cheap as an add-on.
  • I used the salt test strips. Easiest strip test I've ever used. It's not a color shade test. The strip is graduated and you look for where the distinct yellow color stops on the strip. Also you have a black line that "develops" at the top to be sure the test has had time. After the black line appears the strip reads the exactly the same days later.
  • I used Morton's pool salt. A couple of bucks more expensive but it dissolved very quickly. Definitely do this in the shallow end. It's easier to make a couple of sweeps and then it's completely gone. I did vacuum up a couple of very small piles of sand a couple of days later. I guess that's the non-salt remainder of 99.7%.
  • The wall unit only has a 6' cord. Make sure you position it close enough to the power for this to work. Not a big problem but if you have to route around a few other things 6' doesn't go too far.
  • Don't forget to hook up the bonding wire, I did - had to get the bonding wire and lug connectors at HD.
  • I powered mine in the Jandy iAqualink box to a spare relay powered from the pool pump power relay. This way I can make minor adjustments to the run time with my wifi remote. As the cell ages I'll need to adjust the % power at the wall unit but this should be very infrequent. Also it's easy to make sure the SWG is not running in SPA mode. It makes way to much chlorine for the spa.
  • I started at 30% on power instead of 50% since the unit has 2x capacity using TFP recommendations. Bumped it up to 35% and it was adjusted to give me very constant FC in just a couple of days.
I think that's all I have. If you have any additional specific questions just let me know. I'm very happy with the choice so far!

Chris
Thanks so much! That’s very very helpful.

Hi Bab's,

I have just gone done the same decision tree as you and landed on the Circupool generator and pump. I've only had the unit installed a few weeks but so far it works great along with the 3HP smartflo pump.

Salt Water Generator thoughts:
  • Thoughts so far: DIY, RJ series are great in my case. Circupool has a long warranty for DIY which I understand is not the case for other brands.
  • Install is pretty easy and straight forward, Mount the controller, cut piping and solvent weld the PVC
  • The unit clearly generates chlorine, you can see the unit making chlorine
  • Chris is right buy the maintenance kit with the generator. It's a steal. I did not and would having to buy some knock offs on amazon for more than the sail price on discountsaltpool.com
Circupool Smartflo 3HP Pump:
  • Rather easy to install
  • Install
    • I purchased CMP high temp unions 2' MIP x 2 inch PVC so I can remove the pump in the future (Non needed one can just use PVC connectors)
    • Essentially drop the pump in place, install unions with silicone pool grease on threads/pipe thread sealant if using different connectors
    • Dry fit the PVC pipe and solvent weld (purple primer and then rain or shine glue from HD)
    • Electrical is a little annoying. The pump is made by Speck (german) company. The jandy has arge screws well spaced to connect the wires. Smartflo has a tiny block which is tight for connecting the wires. Very annoying but practically not an issue. Just takes some more time to wire and maybe a few choice words :)
  • Pump performance:
    • Noise: Thing is incredibly silent, My old Jandy 1HP pump could be heard 100+ft away. At 3000 RPM, I can barely hear the pump 30 ft away
    • I've been running the pump at 1400 RPM which is fast enough to trigger the flow sensor and generate chlorine at only 176 watts
    • At 3000RPM, pump seems to perform better than the old 1HP jandy and is sufficient for cleaning and back washing at 1600 watts
    • Unit can reach 3400 RPM but my DE filter pressure change spiked too fast to continue testing. Expect the flowrate exceeded the unit rating
  • Thoughts on the Pump:
    • I'm grateful I installed a VS pump. Clearly SWG and VS pumps are synergistic and will lessen the financial load
    • As to Circupool, I'm on the fence. The Intelliflo are the best at a large financial premium and warranty penalty which eliminated the unit for me
    • My source of contention is, 1) did I really need the 3HP pump and 2) the inyo pools Pureline Titan 2HP looks to be the same line of pumps from Speck with a different label. Likely could have saved a few dollars in exchange for a shorter warranty.
Other thoughts:
  • Total DIY Job!
  • Check your voltage and ensure it's 230V, unit can be wired for 115 but these pumps won't work
  • Buy the kit
  • Personally used water softner salt crystals. I used the large compressed larger ones. Took a 5 gallon bucket and drilled a few holes on near the bottom. I then used my winter recic pump to pump water from the bottom thru the salt. Took a few hours to dissolve all the salt, easy. I used large compressed crystals as I could not tell from the smaller crystals if they used a chemical YPS (anti-caking agent which contains iron from their data sheets)
  • You'll need pool stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid) I'd buy puritech from amazon as it's the best deal.
  • MAKE SURE TO USE SCHEDULE 40 PVC PIPE & CONNECTORS!!!!!! You can find them at Home Depot/Lowes or local pool supply stores
  • a deburring tool can also make your life easier too
Regards,

Scott

Reactions: Captchaos

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.