Installing safety cover and closing - Water Height

Thurston

Bronze Supporter
May 19, 2017
RI
I'm installing a mesh safety cover this fall for the first time, directions say that you shouldn't let the water drop more than 18" below the pool edge with the cover on, for proper support of the cover by the water's surface.

When I close the pool I always drop the water down much lower to get it well below the intake jets.

Any advice on where my level should be when I close?

When I close the pool I always drop the water down much lower to get it well below the intake jets.
Which one is it ? Intake is suction, 'jets' are returns. :ROFLMAO: You could have either deep(er) water wall suction lines or returns, or both. Pics do all the explaining for you. :)

If they're standard wall returns, use blow through bungee plugs which are self sealing once pressure is removed, or plug/cap the others while air is blowing out. Then you can drain the 18 inches to start, and drain it again most of the way right before the big freeze so you'll have plenty of wiggle room to accumulate rain/melted snow.

LOL I always do that... The Intakes are 2 skimmers (basically in the surface) and the return jets are the lowest part that I'm concerned with.

I do blow everything out as described (although I don't know what bungee plugs are?), and cap the returns once I get as much of the water out of the system as I can.

I don't know what you mean by "drain the 18 inches to start, and drain it again most of the way right before the big freeze".

I do blow everything out as described (although I don't know what bungee plugs are?), and cap the returns once I get as much of the water out of the system as I can.
Ok GREAT. So the plumbing is fully winterized. (y)
I don't know what you mean by "drain the 18 inches to start, and drain it again most of the way right before the big freeze"
We pick up about 3 ft of off season accumulation here. It needs to be drained occasionally as it gets full again. It's a user choice if they want to drain 6 inches 6 times, a foot 3 times, etc. If you closed today you'd likely be getting near full again by the time it starts to freeze. Once it freezes its hands off with vinyl so I always keep an eye on the extended forecast and drain just before the cold spell comes, so that I'm good for the duration. Then I usually need another drain once it (fully) thaws if its not time to open yet.

I don't like to lower my vinyl pool that low...I have had instances where a lot of rain in a short period of time has caused the ground water table to rise and float the liner. I lower mine just a few inches below the skimmer and pump when necessary to keep the water lower than the bottom of the skimmer. I am in a different climate being further south so this may not be a concern for you.

Reactions: Newdude
Ok GREAT. So the plumbing is fully winterized. (y)

We pick up about 3 ft of off season accumulation here. It needs to be drained occasionally as it gets full again. It's a user choice if they want to drain 6 inches 6 times, a foot 3 times, etc. If you closed today you'd likely be getting near full again by the time it starts to freeze. Once it freezes its hands off with vinyl so I always keep an eye on the extended forecast and drain just before the cold spell comes, so that I'm good for the duration. Then I usually need another drain once it (fully) thaws if its not time to open yet.
I get that, thanks. The question remains: Do I ultimately go lower than 18" below the coping against the safety cover directions but below my return jets so ice doesn't reach the (covered and winterized) jet height? Or 18" max and not worry about ice outside the return jets
I don't like to lower my vinyl pool that low...I have had instances where a lot of rain in a short period of time has caused the ground water table to rise and float the liner. I lower mine just a few inches below the skimmer and pump when necessary to keep the water lower than the bottom of the skimmer. I am in a different climate being further south so this may not be a concern for you.
Thanks, I get what you mean but haven't had that problem, and here in new england, I worry about ice getting thicker as it does when the winter progresses and reaching the height of the return jets.

The question remains: Do I ultimately go lower than 18" below the coping against the safety cover directions but below my return jets so ice doesn't reach the (covered and winterized) jet height? Or 18" max and not worry about ice outside the return jets
Do not exceed the manufacturer recs of 18 inches. Also don't worry about the returns which are properly emptied and capped under pressure. (y)

Reactions: Thurston
I'm just realizing that emptying it only 18" will actually make it tough to winterize in the first place, since the return jets will be underwater. Maybe I drain it where it needs to go to winterize, and then make sure it's filled up to 18" before we get the snow and ice that will weigh the cover down?

Otherwise I have to winterize with the jets underwater, not sure if I can do that I'll have to do some googling...

LOL I always do that... The Intakes are 2 skimmers (basically in the surface) and the return jets are the lowest part that I'm concerned with.

I don't know what you mean by "drain the 18 inches to start, and drain it again most of the way right before the big freeze".

described (although I don't know what bungee plugs are?),

Available from various sources . . . Search "pool bungee plugs" ;)
OIP.L4zfLz5qI8YAtxQNUKyn-wHaFP

Reactions: Thurston

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Otherwise I have to winterize with the jets underwater, not sure if I can do that I'll have to do some googling...
What are you blowing with ? A cyclone is preferred but regardless if air is shooting out the pipes are empty enough if not entirely empty and it's easy to plug the lines while they're bubbling.

Reactions: Hootz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.