Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal frame

Re: Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal f

lconnor03 said:
I have an intex 24x52. We were going to replace the liner until I read about the overlay 25mil. Do you recommend a gorilla ground covering?

I wish I would have ventured to wander from another forum I belong too. My pool leaked and was nothing short of a full time job last year. I ditched the liner and was going to buy a new one, now I'm mad at myself for letting my frustration get the best of me and getting rid of it!
I had the 15 x 48 for 2 summers and really enjoyed it and of course so did the kids. I guess If I can find one, I will reorder the liner and if I have any leaks, this is the place I will come.

How did you go about making holes in the new liner for the pump and drain holes? I am contemplating doing this for a 24' x 52" round ultra frame pool. A replacement liner after shipping is almost $700, a little much for a liner, so Im thinking of buying a 24' expandable liner as well. Any help is welcome, thanks!

I basically had the same idea. I'm trying so hard to explain this to my husband and I don't think he's understanding at all. Could you send me some pics of the new liner in your pool so I could show my husband. My email is EDITED I just can't see them on my phone for some reason. We had our pool one summer and it has a few holes and I'm looking for a cheaper fix then buying a whole new pool.. So if you could send me pics I would greatly appreciate it.;)

Post edited for email address removal. it would be better to PM the poster and not have your email in public view. Brushpup

Hello,

The previous owners of my home had a 24'x52" Intex with a wrap around deck already installed. This is our 3rd year in our home and the pool liner is beginning to go. Between the Texas sun, chlorine levels and my brush; the bottom of the liner is so thin the some of the sharper rocks that were in the sand they put down are coming through. I've patched it about 8 times, but Im sick of putting water in to combat "slow leaks".

My plan was to leave the existing liner/frame in place, cut out the sharp rocks, place in a new overlapping liner and go on about my way. I've found a decent deal (like I'd know) on www.PoolSupplies.com for a 25 gauge overlap 24' (up to 52" deep) for $259 free shipping. From what I can tell it seems pretty straight forward. What do you all think?

How did you go about making holes in the new liner for the pump and drain holes? I am contemplating doing this for a 24' x 52" round ultra frame pool. A replacement liner after shipping is almost $700, a little much for a liner, so Im thinking of buying a 24' expandable liner as well. Any help is welcome, thanks!

From what I've read I don't think we need the expandable liner. I too am about to buy a liner for the 24x52 and was wondering the same thing. I think you only use the expandable with pools up to 60" -70" deep. For the Ultra Frame 24x52 I think the liner to go with is a standard overlap. Thats what I am ordering this morning, guess we will see.

I just ordered a liner to try this. I considered it warily until reading this and seeing the photos now I feel pretty good about it. Has anyone tried doing this with a full pool? A squirrel got it our nearly empty pool last year and we thought we patched all the nibble spots and filled it this spring only to discover more leaks. I realize trying it with water in the pool is probably dumb. Plus the moisture between the two liner walls would probably get some nasty mold.

I just ordered a liner to try this. I considered it warily until reading this and seeing the photos now I feel pretty good about it. Has anyone tried doing this with a full pool? A squirrel got it our nearly empty pool last year and we thought we patched all the nibble spots and filled it this spring only to discover more leaks. I realize trying it with water in the pool is probably dumb. Plus the moisture between the two liner walls would probably get some nasty mold.

You have to empty the pool first. The liner will just float if there is water between the liners .

I'm new to this forum, and my experience with pools has been pretty much guessing all the way and what I can find on the internet. I'm on my third pool. Ants got the first one over winter. I drained the second one and before I got to tear it down a storm blew it across my yard. I left this one up over winter and could not get the cloudiness out of the water so I drained and cleaned it. I started refilling it and have pin holes through the bottom in several places. I tried patching before and cannot get it to work. I was thinking about this before and after reading it, think it's doable. My question is that it is a 20' round. Could I get away with a 21" liner? It's cheaper than a 20 but I'm not sure how well it will fit. It's kind of the black sheep of round pools but got a heck of a deal on it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm new to this forum, and my experience with pools has been pretty much guessing all the way and what I can find on the internet. I'm on my third pool. Ants got the first one over winter. I drained the second one and before I got to tear it down a storm blew it across my yard. I left this one up over winter and could not get the cloudiness out of the water so I drained and cleaned it. I started refilling it and have pin holes through the bottom in several places. I tried patching before and cannot get it to work. I was thinking about this before and after reading it, think it's doable. My question is that it is a 20' round. Could I get away with a 21" liner? It's cheaper than a 20 but I'm not sure how well it will fit. It's kind of the black sheep of round pools but got a heck of a deal on it.

I think the 21' would be to big. You would have a lot of wrinkles but that's just my guess.

First I wanted to say thanks for all of the info so many of you left. After reading through the comments and suggestions I pulled the trigger on the new 24x52 overlap liner and we completed the install yesterday.

Intex 24x52 ultra frame was leaking so I purchased this liner. Its a 24x52 25 gauge overlap "Waves of Poseidon"

Waves.png

After getting all of the water out (which was WAY harder than I thought it would be) we had a tornado come through a county over and the thunderstorms flipped my empty pool bending some of the poles / corner brackets. After a lot of swearing and bending we managed to get it as close to its original shape as possible. I walked around the old liner and any spot that felt like a sharp rock I cut a U shape around it, lifted the rock out and taped the liner back down. Once all the drain holes were cut out and taped over and the bottom was as smooth as possible we glued down 1/8 wall foam to cushion the new liner.

The new liner was held up over the frame using the tarp tie downs you see in this thread. I got two packs from Harbor Frieght and they work perfect for this application. We held them in place by running a 32" bungees through the same holes that hole the retention band in place. I just noticed as I uploaded this photo that the pole was on the wrong side of the strap. I didnt catch that after the storm and now its full of water, oh well....

IMG_5475.jpg

I didnt cut any hole in the liner until the water level was right at the place I needed to make the cut. This worked very well and I had NO issues with my skimmer or plumbing

IMG_5472.jpg

So far the new liner seems to fit perfectly, save for a few wrinkles that are driving my OCD nuts. Now we are back to as close to a worry free pool as we ever were and it looks so much better than the stock Intex checkboard look.

IMG_5477.jpg

First I wanted to say thanks for all of the info so many of you left. After reading through the comments and suggestions I pulled the trigger on the new 24x52 overlap liner and we completed the install yesterday.

Intex 24x52 ultra frame was leaking so I purchased this liner. Its a 24x52 25 gauge overlap "Waves of Poseidon"

Waves.png

After getting all of the water out (which was WAY harder than I thought it would be) we had a tornado come through a county over and the thunderstorms flipped my empty pool bending some of the poles / corner brackets. After a lot of swearing and bending we managed to get it as close to its original shape as possible. I walked around the old liner and any spot that felt like a sharp rock I cut a U shape around it, lifted the rock out and taped the liner back down. Once all the drain holes were cut out and taped over and the bottom was as smooth as possible we glued down 1/8 wall foam to cushion the new liner.

The new liner was held up over the frame using the tarp tie downs you see in this thread. I got two packs from Harbor Frieght and they work perfect for this application. We held them in place by running a 32" bungees through the same holes that hole the retention band in place. I just noticed as I uploaded this photo that the pole was on the wrong side of the strap. I didnt catch that after the storm and now its full of water, oh well....

IMG_5475.jpg

I didnt cut any hole in the liner until the water level was right at the place I needed to make the cut. This worked very well and I had NO issues with my skimmer or plumbing

IMG_5472.jpg

So far the new liner seems to fit perfectly, save for a few wrinkles that are driving my OCD nuts. Now we are back to as close to a worry free pool as we ever were and it looks so much better than the stock Intex checkboard look.

IMG_5477.jpg

OMG!!!! I am jealous of your pool. That looks so great. The next liner I get is going to have a pattern. If I had known this would have worked and liner last this long I would have done the pattern liner instead of just plain blue. LOL. Thanks for sharing.

my 18X52'' intex suddenly developed a tear in the liner about 12-15'' in length about 4-5'' below the seam on the pool floor so i have installed a 18X52'' 20G overlap liner from in the swim for $99 bucks using the tarp grabbers from amazon. it has worked great! it has saved my pool and the grandkids are enjoying their summer again! thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. easier than i thought it would be. the wrinkles have all smoothed out and vanished and have found out that the 20G liner is pretty strong and plenty of overlap. i believe i can get several years at least out of this pool now if not more. i will post some pics later but for anyone who is thinking about doing this i highly recomend it!!!!:D

thank you! this new liner has saved me the cost of a new pool which i probably would have waited until next year and was seriously contemplating getting a real pool but with this i'm going to keep it and get all the use i can out of it. the grandkids love it ! i have followed your pool build and may i say that it is inspiring to say the least!:cheers:

my 18X52'' intex suddenly developed a tear in the liner about 12-15'' in length about 4-5'' below the seam on the pool floor so i have installed a 18X52'' 20G overlap liner from in the swim for $99 bucks using the tarp grabbers from amazon. it has worked great! it has saved my pool and the grandkids are enjoying their summer again! thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. easier than i thought it would be. the wrinkles have all smoothed out and vanished and have found out that the 20G liner is pretty strong and plenty of overlap. i believe i can get several years at least out of this pool now if not more. i will post some pics later but for anyone who is thinking about doing this i highly recomend it!!!!:D

Pool looks great!!! Glad it was easy for you. And very glad the grandkids are loving it.

Pool looks great!!! Glad it was easy for you. And very glad the grandkids are loving it.

i have to say that after i saw your pics of your pool i made a decision to try it since my pool was shot anyway and i'm glad i did. i had seen this thread some time ago and remembered reading it but your pics sealed it for me. thanks for your pics and to everyone who contributed to this topic!:D its a real let down when you come home from work and you see a big tear in the bottom of your pool and water gushing out and into the neighbors yard. :-x this has given me faith and the drive to carry on:)

Thank-you all for the wonderful ideas! After chasing mystery leaks for 2 weeks I gave in and ordered a new inner liner for our 14' X 48" Intex Ultra Frame Pool. Everything is installed and the pool will finish filling tonight but I have a couple of last minute questions about the intake/outflow holes for the pump. Did anyone use adhesive (at the holes) between the new liner and the old? If so what type did you use? And did you cut the hole exactly the same size, larger or smaller? Kinda panicking about cutting a HOLE in a brand new liner even though I know it has to be done. :-? Also if it makes a difference I ordered a larger pump so I am using a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 adapter kit for the hoses. The last thing I want is water leaking between the liners...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.