Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal frame

Re: Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal f

Wait to cut return and intake holes until water level is at the existing holes then cut out holes to match old liner. And I ran my string from the grommet thru the hoop what holds the belt that goes around the pool it holds up fine 24 x 52 ultra frame.

So you cut both the return & intake? If so, that'd be great bc I really wasn't looking forward to rigging up the PVC pipe return as pictured by the OP. Also, did you have any trouble sealing it? I figure I'll put the silicone adhesive around the hole in the new liner, but I wasn't sure if I should put it elsewhere?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've read this post at least 50 times and I just want to make sure I get this right. (I started the project this evening.)

I didnt use any adhesive just cut the holes exactly same size as existing holes. Just make sure water is right at the hole before you cut them out. If not the liner will stretch and your hole wont match up

Hey thanks! Actually, since I was on a time crunch (storms moving into the midwest) & I didn't know any better, I went ahead and tried adhesive ---- did NOT work at ALL. I used 2 different kinds, and 1 was recommended by the pool store that they use on their repairs! I noticed this morning that all the adhesive was coming off. HOWEVER, I did cut the holes slightly smaller to create somewhat of a seal, and plus with pressure of the water against the 2 liners, I don't believe I'll have any problems. So far so good! Man, I love this forum!

Thanks from us in IA too for the great information on this thread. We were given an Intex 24' x 52" pool, but the liner was so shot it just wouldn't patch and hold water. I knew there had to be a way to use the overlap liners to repair, but this information was just what I needed. Drain holes are removed, water is drained, joints are wrapped in duct tape, and we're waiting on the new liner to arrive via Fedex this morning.

Thank you sooooo much I was in so much agony in searching for a replacement liner for my intex 24 x 52 ultra frame pool. :cheers: ...so much detail and I printed off everything so my we get started and be done before the 4th of July

amd250 said:
...The Liner is 25Mil, I paid$127 from a place called Doheny.com. Then I got the Plastic Grommets from Harbor freight. I am filling it now. I also did the piping for the outlet like you did with PVC...
I wish I had reread the messages about filling the liner while it is suspended a little bit to get the water to take the wrinkles out!
I bought the 25MIl Liner from Doheny.com and they did not ship overnight for free to California but I would buy from them again. the replacement liner from Intex is the same as buying a new pool. I have the 18 foot by 52" metal frame. I had some rats (literally!) chew a few holes in the existing liner while it was stored over the winter and found this site while searching for a replacement liner.
[attachment=0:2nv0t7ln]HolesChewed.jpg[/attachment:2nv0t7ln]
I set-up the pool as usual and then put the doheny liner over it. All of the talk about Harbor Freight was very helpful. they have a 19' square tarp, and I used 2 of their 20 packs of 15" tiedowns to make band to hold the liner to the pool frame. [attachment=2:2nv0t7ln]strapcloseup.jpg[/attachment:2nv0t7ln] As the water fills up the pool you have to release pressure on the liner by pulling the straps out a bit but they work great. And you can flip the liner over the strap to hide it if you are worried about aesthetic value. [attachment=1:2nv0t7ln]StrapLinerflippedover.jpg[/attachment:2nv0t7ln]
Thanks so much for suggesting not to cut the filter hose holes until the water level was near the site. Worked great. I have some leaking but as I look at them it is mostly from not having fresh gaskets.
What a great site! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and details.

Attachments

• strapcloseup.jpg
    strapcloseup.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,271
  • StrapLinerflippedover.jpg
    StrapLinerflippedover.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,267
  • HolesChewed.jpg
    HolesChewed.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,260

Tim95624 said:
I had some rats (literally!) chew a few holes in the existing liner while it was stored over the winter and found this site while searching for a replacement liner.
Forgot to mention the guy at the pool store said if I take it down to store it in a plastic trash can with a tight lid as the chewing is a common problem for stored pool liners.

do you think instead of your pvc get up to the filter, could a person cut hole in new liner to match existing hole for filter in and out holes and adhere new liner to old liner with rubber adhesive? and how do you drain your new liner for winter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

erding6 said:
do you think instead of your pvc get up to the filter, could a person cut hole in new liner to match existing hole for filter in and out holes and adhere new liner to old liner with rubber adhesive? and how do you drain your new liner for winter?
I didn't use the pvc, I just cut the new liner once the water level was almost at the holes and didn't bother with adhesive. The old lines acts like another gasket I just got new gaskets and put them on the inside of the new liner and outside of the Intex liner and it seems to be holding. Good Luck!

Here is what I posted before
Sadly I must report a catastrophic failure in my pool liner experience. One of the rat hole chew-throughs looked like it was getting a little bigger. My wife and I were in the pool and discussed that we need(ed) to add more support to that spot. Well less than a half hour later we heard a tearing sound and the Intex pool was tearing from that rat chew up and down and the liner could not hold the pressure. The pool failed and 7 of the 18 poles collapsed as the water rushed out. So now I need to get seven Intex poles and a new 18' by 52' Pool.

Attachments

• WTF-FullPool.jpg
    WTF-FullPool.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,245

our install went good. only rec i have is to take extra time to make sure the liner is centered and tie it down with the tarp buttons or clamps and slowly let down as pool fills. We had the liner suspended as suggested so weight of water pulled wrinkles out and that worked really well, but didn't place hose in the center of the liner so one side pulled down much quicker than the other so I only have about 4 inches over lap on one side of pool and a good 18 inches on the other. Thanks to all for the above suggestions, our old pool was loaded with little holes and cracks so really hoping I don't have the same results as the guy with the rat holes!!

erding6 said:
our install went good. only rec i have is to take extra time to make sure the liner is centered and tie it down with the tarp buttons or clamps and slowly let down as pool fills. We had the liner suspended as suggested so weight of water pulled wrinkles out and that worked really well, but didn't place hose in the center of the liner so one side pulled down much quicker than the other so I only have about 4 inches over lap on one side of pool and a good 18 inches on the other. Thanks to all for the above suggestions, our old pool was loaded with little holes and cracks so really hoping I don't have the same results as the guy with the rat holes!!
My mistake was not realizing the pressure was forcing the new liner through the biggest hole until it was too late. If you add some support around the Intex liner and cover the hole you should be OK. I'm thinking even duct tape over the inside and outside of the holes would have been enough.

Plus I just have to add the Intex liners are designed to wrap around the top rail and exert a downward force on the legs.

I think you would have had even more issues later down the road with that install.

A replacement liner for my 16ft pool is around $229.00 but the pool itself was only $349 on sale.

If it were me at that point I would buy a new pool.

unkyjoe said:
Plus I just have to add the Intex liners are designed to wrap around the top rail and exert a downward force on the legs.

I think you would have had even more issues later down the road with that install.

A replacement liner for my 16ft pool is around $229.00 but the pool itself was only $349 on sale.

If it were me at that point I would buy a new pool.

I agree, I probably would have bought a new pool next year regardless, the newer filter system and just the hassle of using two liners would have pretty much made me decide to upgrade. I just hoped to get one more season from the old one. I'm keeping the spare parts! :-D

joined because of this thread. ROCK ON.

We have an 18', that was given to us, and the liner is in OK shape structurally, except for cracking above the pipe loop part, it just looks like Crud! Folks who gave it to me had it under a walnut tree. :) I got most of the stains out, but there are a few bleached spots. I just put a new sand pump on it....might as well upgrade the liner. SO i looked, they are mad expensive, and theres no choice in liner color, just the stock intex.

I think I will do this next year..but try to find a "mottled" pattern liner. like pebbles or something...

thanks again!

Hai all,

I live in Curacao (carribean) and I bought an Intex pool 15' x 48'. We have tough grass over here, so in no time my pool bottom was filled with nice green grasses waving around!!! So I drained the pool, tried to patch the holes. But after 3 weeks most of the patches came off. There are far too many holes to try and patch them again. We moved the pool to an area were no grass is growing (stone underground). I cannot buy the layer which you have to put underneath over here, so I have to ship it from the US. Then I was looking for a liner replacement, an stumbled on this magnificent topic!!!
Oke, now I've red everything, I don't want to cut the new liner at all. The problem (as far as I understand it) is the suction part of the sand filter, it will not suck over the ridge. So here is my solution: I raise the level (and all the tubes to and from the pool) to a higher level, let's say about the level where the suction hole is. Might that work? I'm just not comfortable when it get's to cutting that hole in the pool! Or is the sand filter motor just not that strong enough to suck over the edge? Another question. Are the liner you bought round and fully flat? No seams at all? I hope someone is willing to answer my questions. Hope to hear from you!

Mic said:
Hai all,

I live in Curacao (carribean) and I bought an Intex pool 15' x 48'. We have tough grass over here, so in no time my pool bottom was filled with nice green grasses waving around!!! So I drained the pool, tried to patch the holes. But after 3 weeks most of the patches came off. There are far too many holes to try and patch them again. We moved the pool to an area were no grass is growing (stone underground). I cannot buy the layer which you have to put underneath over here, so I have to ship it from the US. Then I was looking for a liner replacement, an stumbled on this magnificent topic!!!
Oke, now I've red everything, I don't want to cut the new liner at all. The problem (as far as I understand it) is the suction part of the sand filter, it will not suck over the ridge. So here is my solution: I raise the level (and all the tubes to and from the pool) to a higher level, let's say about the level where the suction hole is. Might that work? I'm just not comfortable when it get's to cutting that hole in the pool! Or is the sand filter motor just not that strong enough to suck over the edge? Another question. Are the liner you bought round and fully flat? No seams at all? I hope someone is willing to answer my questions. Hope to hear from you!
I used a harbor freight tarp (harborfreight.com) under my pool and it worked fine for me. I don't have an answer for the filter question, hope someone else can help you. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.