Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal frame

Our family is considering purchasing a used Intex pool that has some leaks in the liner and I found this thread about using an additional liner. One of the pools we are looking at is the Prism oval 16.5 x 9ft x 48 in. I'm not quite sure what size liner to get since it's "oval" even though it appears more rectangle. Would there be any harm in over sizing a bit and going with a 18 x 10 oval? Or would we better off going with a 10 x 16 with the 52" wall?

Thanks all!

Ok so here is my problem. I have an 18' x 52" Intex metal frame pool that has started leaking out the bottom. My idea is to buy an overlapping 18' liner and stick it inside the pool. The Intex vinyl liner would be the pool walls and the new overlapping liner would of course overlap over the frame. I could use tarp grabbers instead of brass grommets to secure the liner with some small rope. I think it would only have to be snugg so it wouldnt flip back into the pool. Any one tried this? I can get an overlapping liner for $116 shipping included and the tarp grabbers for about $30. I think the intex replacement liner is around $400-$500. I know it sound pretty redneck but its all good I live out in the country.lol. Any ideas would be great. Thanks everyone.
Yes, thank you! This was the thread I read a few days ago but couldn't find it again. Thank you again.

Hi, reviving this thread again hopefully. I've got a small 15x33" summer waves with a ton of pinhole leaks. I'm currently trying Fix a Leak but so far it's not working. I anticipated this and there is a new overlap liner in my shed that's been sitting in the box for a couple of years waiting to be used and I think this is the year. My question is - summer waves pools have a skimmer/pump combo which means there is a large hole where the intake line would be on an Intex, for the skimmer opening. I'm fairly convinced we can cut the holes correctly and use the old pump if we have to but frankly I think it's probably time to retire it. As it happens I also have an unused Intex pump. It's not a huge sand pump or anything, just a small 1500 gph pump which takes the A size paper filter, which is almost overkill since this is a really small 3300 gallon or so pool but it would be nice to have the extra power to run an automatic vacuum (the little summer waves skimmer/pump thing is too weak to run a vacuum).

I'm wondering if the best thing to do would be to just seal the holes on the old liner inside and out before installing the new overlap liner and run pvc pipes over the side for the intake and return? If I don't do it that way I'm not sure how to go about handling the different sized holes. The pool is only 36" in height so the pump won't have to push the water all that far to go up & over. Any advice on running PVC for a lil Intex pump & bypassing the holes altogether?

Hi, reviving this thread again hopefully. I've got a small 15x33" summer waves with a ton of pinhole leaks. I'm currently trying Fix a Leak but so far it's not working. I anticipated this and there is a new overlap liner in my shed that's been sitting in the box for a couple of years waiting to be used and I think this is the year. My question is - summer waves pools have a skimmer/pump combo which means there is a large hole where the intake line would be on an Intex, for the skimmer opening. I'm fairly convinced we can cut the holes correctly and use the old pump if we have to but frankly I think it's probably time to retire it. As it happens I also have an unused Intex pump. It's not a huge sand pump or anything, just a small 1500 gph pump which takes the A size paper filter, which is almost overkill since this is a really small 3300 gallon or so pool but it would be nice to have the extra power to run an automatic vacuum (the little summer waves skimmer/pump thing is too weak to run a vacuum).

I'm wondering if the best thing to do would be to just seal the holes on the old liner inside and out before installing the new overlap liner and run pvc pipes over the side for the intake and return? If I don't do it that way I'm not sure how to go about handling the different sized holes. The pool is only 36" in height so the pump won't have to push the water all that far to go up & over. Any advice on running PVC for a lil Intex pump & bypassing the holes altogether?
I would order the fittings and cut new holes. check your replacement liner, your climate is better than mine but something like that sitting in my shed for a couple of summers would be toast.

Ok so my current liner lasted another year but I'm about to see if I can make the liner I bought that's been in the shed a while work. My plan is to lay it down this weekend to make sure it holds water in the bottom and doesn't have any obvious flaws then close it again for another month or so with water below the intake and skimmer holes. I'll cut the holes and fill the rest of the way when it's warmer and time to open, and hopefully this plan will give me time to find any problems with the replacement or scrap the whole idea and buy a new pool if necessary before they're all gone.

My question is, for anyone who has done this or has had to cut holes in a new liner for any reason, what kind of tool did you use to cut the holes in your liner? Is there a special tool to buy? Just a sharp knife?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.