Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal frame

Well, I find myself having to do this mod to my pool this year. The original liner is bleached out completely, and the bottom has a rough texture to it (the pool was given to me by someone that used pool store shock granules, and didn't pre-mix them with water). This is more of a maintenance and ascetics thing (trying to prolong the need for a replacement pool and make the liner look better).

I think that I am going to cut the drains flush on the inside (preserving the reinforcements around them). I have an old intex pool liner from an old quickset pool that I am thinking of cutting a 12" square patch from to apply to the inside of this pool where the drains have been cut out of. I am hoping that this will be an improvement so my replacement liner doesn't even TRY to bulge through the hole from the old drain. If I understand it correctly, the intex liner is a type of PVC, so I was wondering if anyone would know if a regular PVC cleaner/cement combo (the same as is used with pipes) would work for this purpose, or should I use a different adhesive?

This is a 24' X 52" Metal frame pool that I bought an overlap liner for.

I am also thinking of trying to fold the liner back on itself, and tucking it back to the inside of the pool (trapping the overlap between the new liner, and the old), and running a soft 1/4" rope through the fold to give the tarp clamps something to grip to (since the clamps the OP showed are no longer being sold). What are your thoughts on this?

Well, I find myself having to do this mod to my pool this year. The original liner is bleached out completely, and the bottom has a rough texture to it (the pool was given to me by someone that used pool store shock granules, and didn't pre-mix them with water). This is more of a maintenance and ascetics thing (trying to prolong the need for a replacement pool and make the liner look better).

I think that I am going to cut the drains flush on the inside (preserving the reinforcements around them). I have an old intex pool liner from an old quickset pool that I am thinking of cutting a 12" square patch from to apply to the inside of this pool where the drains have been cut out of. I am hoping that this will be an improvement so my replacement liner doesn't even TRY to bulge through the hole from the old drain. If I understand it correctly, the intex liner is a type of PVC, so I was wondering if anyone would know if a regular PVC cleaner/cement combo (the same as is used with pipes) would work for this purpose, or should I use a different adhesive?

This is a 24' X 52" Metal frame pool that I bought an overlap liner for.

I am also thinking of trying to fold the liner back on itself, and tucking it back to the inside of the pool (trapping the overlap between the new liner, and the old), and running a soft 1/4" rope through the fold to give the tarp clamps something to grip to (since the clamps the OP showed are no longer being sold). What are your thoughts on this?

For the patch you would use a Vinyl pool kit, you can get them at Home Depot, walmart, or a pool store easily.

As for the liner I think that might work folding it over and tucking it in but would be harder to keep wrinkles out of the side. I was thinking of using a grommet kit when I do my pool liner. I think as long as it keeps it from flapping or falling in the pool you would be good. I don't think that there is a lot of stress on the sides, it's just for keeping the liner from going back in the pool. That is my .02 take if for what it is and good luck. Post up pics if your idea works out.

Just joining....I have a 22'x52" intex pool. If you fold new liner in between pool and new liner would it work to use coping strips to hold it? I was thinking of doing that , but think the other ideas are better and will probably do that instead:) also I am finding that no one sells 22' liners. so should I go with a 21' or 24'? any input would be appreciated:) thanks

Here are some pictures of what my liner came out like... I LIKE it! :)

HEzOSqK.jpg

IMdA36R.jpg

There is still some tweaking to be done to it...
My wife came home from work, and said "WOW, you've been busy! That looks better than how I thought it would turn out"
Now she's talking about building a deck around it... oh boy.
A happy wife = a happy life :)

We just put a overlap liner on our "full of holes" 24' intex. We clipped the liner to the side after it was filled 1' and ran out of time to smooth the wrinkles so left it clipped. The overlap liner blew into the pool today and there's water between the intex and new liner. If we just fill it up, will it push the water (that spilled in the corner) out? There no drain and my husband has not the time to shop vac it. Also will it mold if there's wetness between the liners?

I don't think the water will get squeezed out as you fill the inner liner, I think it'll end up trapped, and may become a source of mould.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got 24 tarp clips from Harbour Freight.
While filling, I ran a length of 1/4" paracord around the outside of the pool, and drew it tight (trapping the liner there for the fill).
Once filled, I tucked the liner back into the side, trapping the overlap between the new liner, and the old Intex liner, and trapped the paracord in the fold.
Then I clipped the tarp clips onto the liner, and ran some 3ply poly twine from Dollar General through the strap loops that are 1/2 way up the pool walls to the clips to secure them.

As of Last year, I removed the 3 ply poly twine (it didn't winter too well), and replaced it with paracord.

I think they wanted to protect the new liner from the metal joints, and the pins that hold the pool together.

Since I folded a heavy liner back on itself around the top rail, I skipped that step.
I figured the bottom layer of vinyl would be enough to protect the top layer... only time will tell if I was right.

I did not cut it, and it was easy to tuck back in.
I ran a piece of 1/4" paracord around the outside of the pool... pulled TIGHT that trapped the liner from the outside as I filled the pool.
Then I folded it back on itself a little at a time, and tucked the cord in the fold to give the clips something to hold onto.
BTW, there HAS been considerable clean-up done since this picture was taken (right after I tucked it back in, and feeling proud of the job I did).
I will take a picture of what it looks like now a bit later, and post it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.