Installing replacement liner inside of Intex 18' metal frame

It looks great from the pictures. When I did mine I put the tarp clips on and had long string on it so I could fasten them loosely. Just enough that the liner would not flop back into the pool (like it did the first time I did it). Then when it was full I snugged them up just enough so there is no slack. I really like the pattern of your liner. Where did you get it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks great from the pictures. When I did mine I put the tarp clips on and had long string on it so I could fasten them loosely. Just enough that the liner would not flop back into the pool (like it did the first time I did it). Then when it was full I snugged them up just enough so there is no slack. I really like the pattern of your liner. Where did you get it?

I got it from Liner World. Love the pattern too. Love your idea by the way. I am concerned about this bulge from where I cut out the drain plug. Do you think I should drain it and try to reinforce it, or will the duct tape hold? Should I just continue to monitor it to see if it gets worse?

I got it from Liner World. Love the pattern too. Love your idea by the way. I am concerned about this bulge from where I cut out the drain plug. Do you think I should drain it and try to reinforce it, or will the duct tape hold? Should I just continue to monitor it to see if it gets worse?

Did you put anything on the inside and with tape or just put tape on the outside? I can't remember what material I put inside to try and keep it from bulging out but mine did it anyways. Only difference is there is something kinda helping it stay more on the inside but it's hard to tell. It's been 4 years now and it hasn't busted yet. In the first pic it shows the tape in the inside yet I don't have a pic of what's under the tape. The second is what it looks like right now.
fe27a11ecf906439ecca3292b903227e.jpg
16ac94577470625ac2b8e84cdf9e2022.jpg

Did you put anything on the inside and with tape or just put tape on the outside? I can't remember what material I put inside to try and keep it from bulging out but mine did it anyways. Only difference is there is something kinda helping it stay more on the inside but it's hard to tell. It's been 4 years now and it hasn't busted yet. In the first pic it shows the tape in the inside yet I don't have a pic of what's under the tape. The second is what it looks like right now.
fe27a11ecf906439ecca3292b903227e.jpg
16ac94577470625ac2b8e84cdf9e2022.jpg

I just used duct tape on the inside and duct tape on the outside. I guess it's encouraging that yours has lasted so long. I'm just concerned. I think I'll get in there this weekend and put a 5x5 patch over from the inside just to reinforce it and monitor it from there. I just hate worrying about it, but I want to be safe and worry free. Thanks for the reply!

- - - Updated - - -

I should mention, I did tape it on the inside first, all the extra tape on the outside, I added when I noticed the bulge. I think with a big 'ol patch on the inside to reinforce it, it should be OK. Just not looking to freezing my butt off to get in there to do it. Unseasonablly cool weather in NC right now. Suppossed to get down in the 40's tonight. It's snowing in the mnts. right now!

I just used duct tape on the inside and duct tape on the outside. I guess it's encouraging that yours has lasted so long. I'm just concerned. I think I'll get in there this weekend and put a 5x5 patch over from the inside just to reinforce it and monitor it from there. I just hate worrying about it, but I want to be safe and worry free. Thanks for the reply!

- - - Updated - - -

I should mention, I did tape it on the inside first, all the extra tape on the outside, I added when I noticed the bulge. I think with a big 'ol patch on the inside to reinforce it, it should be OK. Just not looking to freezing my butt off to get in there to do it. Unseasonablly cool weather in NC right now. Suppossed to get down in the 40's tonight. It's snowing in the mnts. right now!

Good grief!!! That is cold. I don't think putting a patch on the inside on the new liner will do much good. It would have to be between the old liner and the new liner. I think the tape on the inside should be fine as long as you stretched it past the hole a ways so the ends don't push out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am so happy I found this thread.When we set up the pool last year the ground had shifted and caused it to be uneven so we took it down for the winter, and the past two weeks I been working to level the ground and got it pretty darn close. I layed out the tarps and got some moving drop cloths and put that down and I rolled the pool out to set it up and I about cried. My son did in fact cry because we had found numerous mouse holes no more than an inch or two in several places. I was so frustrated after spending so much time to get it set up for my son, but I stayed calm and took to the internet to see how much a new liner would cost for my 18' Intex pool. I found Intex sells them for about $207 plus shipping and I know their quality control sucks so I would rather do this method like the OP did and get an overlapping liner and set the pool up. I been researching and I think this would be the best route to go without spending a crazy amount. Amazon has the 25mil liner for $92.46 plus the tarp clips total comes out to $108.61 with free prime shipping. Gonna order this soon, but I still have to address the rat holes.....

So any ideas on the best method to do this besides just duct tape over the holes? Anyway to fully secure the holes so I do not get any bulges from them? I was thinking some heavy gauge patches but I'm not sure. Thanks for any and all help.

sincerely, anxious DaD

I have had a 16' ultra frame pool for a year now. I have to say that this forum has been an wonderful source of information and a big help to me since I acquired the pool! The liner had begun to looking a bit faded but otherwise in decent shape(no leaks). I found this thread and decided to give this overlap liner thing a try. I ordered a 20 gauge rolling waves print overlap liner from SPP. Draining the water out and the install went fairly well. I was reluctant to cut the plug out having seen the bulging results from others here that had cut out the drain plug and used duct tape. I debated leaving it in place but thought it probably would eventually rupture the new liner. In the hopes of preventing a bulge in the new liner I finally decided to cut out the drain plug and glue in a patch made of the same Intex checkerboard material.

I put it all back together and everything was looking great for about a day. I had just come home for the evening and I decided to have a look at the pool. I saw that there was a bit of water on the concrete and upon further inspection I discovered that the old Intex liner had ripped open in back from the bottom at the spot where I had placed the patch over the drain plug hole on up to the return port. Fortunately the new overlap liner was held in place by the white strap that goes around the circumference of the pool and I was able to drain the pool before a catastrophic failure. I was horrified but amazed at the strength of the new liner even though it was only a 20 gauge liner.

I suspect that there is a tremendous amount of pressure on that area of the liner. It surprises me that others that have used duct tape haven't run into a similar problem. If I was to do this again I think I would just leave the plug in place and try and cover it up with a bit of foam tapered into the sides to prevent it from rupturing the new liner. I was thinking that maybe a strip of the cove foam used on the bottom edge of above ground pools would do the trick. Has anybody tried leaving the drain plug in place? If so did you cover it with anything first?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 8.46.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 8.46.24 PM.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 508
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 8.46.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 8.46.54 PM.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 507
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 8.47.25 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 8.47.25 PM.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 511
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 8.44.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 8.44.15 PM.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_7384.jpg
    IMG_7384.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 522
Reactions: Windylou
I have a few questions for anyone that does the conversion... 1. I have an Intex 18x52 Pool. I found a liner that is a 25g 18x52 overlap, is this suitable? Will it hang over the side wall enough? 2. How many of the Super Snap clips are people using? 3. I see that bunge cords and some sort of string/ twine has been used to anchor the clips to the strap and or legs. Which is better? 4. Blowouts seem to have happened to a few people. Any solutions?

I have a few questions for anyone that does the conversion... 1. I have an Intex 18x52 Pool. I found a liner that is a 25g 18x52 overlap, is this suitable? Will it hang over the side wall enough? 2. How many of the Super Snap clips are people using? 3. I see that bunge cords and some sort of string/ twine has been used to anchor the clips to the strap and or legs. Which is better? 4. Blowouts seem to have happened to a few people. Any solutions?

I have an 18x48 and got this liner Amazon.com : 18-ft. Round Overlap Above Ground Pool Liner - Solid Blue - 25-Gauge : Swimming Pool Liners : Patio, Lawn Garden. The wind was blowing hard when it got set up and I have lots of overlap on the downwind side and and 2 inches on the wind side. If it was perfectly centered I think it'd be about 6" of overlap. If it were me I'd look for a 60" liner I think.

I didn't use super snap just bungee cords since harbor freight doesn't sell the clips anymore.

Cutting the drains out I just cut the drain itself out (about 2" wide), not the whole reinforced area of it. Then I duct taped over it.

Is there absolutely no vinyl sealant or some kind of caulk I could use around the bottom seam on the inside? I think I have several leaks in the seam my brand new just-set-up intex 18x52. It only had an inch of water before I realized it was leaking in a few areas and I would like to try something like that (if it exists) before I make the new liner overlap leap.

loooove that table/tray on the side... any better pictures of your build on that? thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Well here is an update of the original pool that started this thread. It's been 4 years now and still holding water. I have replaced most of the tarp grabbers starting I think after the third year due to them finally weather cracking and breaking. I just bought some and would replace one when ever it gave out. The top of the liner that lays on top of the railing is the only thing that has wear on it. It has been hit by some major hail stones through out the four years and ripped and cracked it. I used Tear-aid patches to cover over them and worked great. Just doesn't look great. I am thinking about replacing the liner next year with one that has something printed on it since I know this actually works and holds up good. Still trying to think of some way to put something over the top rail that makes a cover. I guess it would be a top rail for the top rail. Lol. So for me this has paid for itself. I have a Hayward sand filter, 1hp pump (runs 24/7),intex chlorine generator (set on 7). I leave the solar cover on all the time and tool it back when we swim. I do leave it in covered every now and again to cool the water if it gets over 100 degrees. I vacuum every other week. That's all I do. Stays crystal clear and I don't have to use any chemicals at all. At the end of the season I use Algaecide 60 and cover the pool with a regular cover. Always clear when opening.
2e6f649e69f3e840337c004ee29c7a70.jpg
0cc35d22b1b740edc2bb61c3c572d76b.jpg
03d6e4ca478a8cde5399482cb574c3a6.jpg
1d257d724d67eafa4c09bfb86475fdf1.jpg

loooove that table/tray on the side... any better pictures of your build on that? thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.