Installing Pentair EasyTouch 8 520540 kit, correct Breakers?

lightandvideo

Silver Supporter
Jun 20, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
We are renovating our pool and replacing the current load center and automation with new Pentair 520540 kit, needing advice on correct breakers to install,

Our electrician confirmed current local code requires GFCI breakers on all pool/spa circuits, not sure if this is correct but I’m planning to replace all of the current non-GFI breakers with new GFI breakers, we will be running a VS pump so installing a GFI breaker in the main panel isn’t a good option and planning to run non GFI breaker in the main panel with individual GFI breakers in the subpanel,

Since we are installing a new Pentair 3hp VSF pump for the skimmer filter I saw there are issues with the VS pumps tripping standard GFI breakers so I already ordered a Pentair 20amp GFI breaker for the VSF,

Planning to install standard Siemens GFCI breakers on the remaining circuits in the subpanel,

*Needing to make sure we have enough space in the new panel for all the breakers we need and wanting to get advice on the type/qty breakers we should install based on our equipment requirements:

- 1x VSF 3hp Pentair for skimmer

- 3x single speed 2hp pumps:
1x hayward 2hp for spa jets,
1x hayward 2hp for water features,
1x Pentair 2hp in-floor system,

- 1x spa blower

- 2x white LED lights for pool/spa,

- currently 2x 15amp GFI receptacles installed for convenience outlets, 1 located on the subpanel, 1 located adjacent to the equipment pad,

- We are also installing IC60 SWCG but we were originally planning to install this using the original non-Pentair subpanel and original Jandy automation system, so I already purchased the separate intellichlor power supply and already ordered the IC60 cell, so we did not purchase the easytouch 8 w/internal transformer for the IC60, (I know we will need to mount another box on the wall without the internal transformer but I like the idea of keeping the IC power supply modular/separate from the subpanel for future IC transformer replacement without dismantling the subpanel, and was able to buy the IC power supply and IC60 cell kit online separately for the same cost as the bundled kit, so I decided to pass on buying the bundled kit)

Here are photos of the current breakers and wiring

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share!9252D455-CBA1-4874-8091-003D1E68909B.jpeg

Attachments

• 63679743-211F-4285-AA69-9053E7AA31DF.jpeg
    63679743-211F-4285-AA69-9053E7AA31DF.jpeg
    637.7 KB · Views: 16
  • EF34E323-AF1A-44E6-A54E-C234D459C837.jpeg
    EF34E323-AF1A-44E6-A54E-C234D459C837.jpeg
    630.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Sounds like you have all the correct breakers. The GFCI tripping issue is very random - some people experience it and others do not. I'll admit that when my pool was built, Pima County did not yet adopt the code that all pump related breakers have to be GFCI so my VSP runs on a regular breaker. If I ever changed anything, I'd have to update that and I suppose if I ever sold my home that would also be required post-inspection....but then that'll be someone else problem ;)

VFD's can produce a lot of electrical noise that can find it's way back onto the input power lines and that's what usually causes the trip. There are a number of good YouTube videos that detail the issue with VFD's and ways to mitigate line noise by adding RF chokes and filters to the input lines. Whether or not this would help in the event of random tripping errors is hard to say a priori but at least there's some ideas out there on how to fix it. So you might want to leave yourself enough line length so that if you needed to install a ferrite choke, you can do that neatly inside the panel.

Reactions: lightandvideo
L&V,

Just FYI, you do not have to "dismantle" anything to change a salt cell, you simply unplug it from the bottom of the EasyTouch, exactly what you will have to do with your Power center.

The EasyTouch can hold 10 full-size 115 VAC breakers or 5 full-size 220 volt breakers or any combination...

My pool builder installed a Pentair GFCI, and as cheap as he is, I'm sure he did it for a reason..

A lot of installers add a GFCI outlet on the side of the enclosure (There is a knockout) and use this GFCI to power the light as well as the outlet.

Your IC60's power center can be powered off of the same breaker as the pump....

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sounds like you have all the correct breakers. The GFCI tripping issue is very random - some people experience it and others do not. I'll admit that when my pool was built, Pima County did not yet adopt the code that all pump related breakers have to be GFCI so my VSP runs on a regular breaker. If I ever changed anything, I'd have to update that and I suppose if I ever sold my home that would also be required post-inspection....but then that'll be someone else problem ;)

VFD's can produce a lot of electrical noise that can find it's way back onto the input power lines and that's what usually causes the trip. There are a number of good YouTube videos that detail the issue with VFD's and ways to mitigate line noise by adding RF chokes and filters to the input lines. Whether or not this would help in the event of random tripping errors is hard to say a priori but at least there's some ideas out there on how to fix it. So you might want to leave yourself enough line length so that if you needed to install a ferrite choke, you can do that neatly inside the panel.
Copy, thanks for the info!

L&V,

Just FYI, you do not have to "dismantle" anything to change a salt cell, you simply unplug it from the bottom of the EasyTouch, exactly what you will have to do with your Power center.

The EasyTouch can hold 10 full-size 115 VAC breakers or 5 full-size 220 volt breakers or any combination...

My pool builder installed a Pentair GFCI, and as cheap as he is, I'm sure he did it for a reason..

A lot of installers add a GFCI outlet on the side of the enclosure (There is a knockout) and use this GFCI to power the light as well as the outlet.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim, yes I bought the Pentair GFCI breaker for the VSF pump after reading a lot of posts about issues tripping standard GFCI breakers, It looks like I will need to install total of 4 220v GFCI breakers for the 4 pumps, planning to use standard Siemens GFCI 220v 20A breakers for the 3 single speed pumps and will use the Pentair 220v 20A GFCI breaker for the VSF pump and IC60 power supply, that will leave room for 2 additional 110v breakers or 1 additional 220v breaker, now I’m trying to figure out if this will cover my requirements for the 110v lights/convenience outlets and spa blower, hopefully we will be able to setup the lights and convenience outlets on 1 GFCI 20A 110v breaker and use the remaining space for 20A 110v breaker for the spa blower

L&V,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Also thanks for the info on the IC60, I know the IC60 cell will need to be serviced and replaced occasionally, I wasn’t worried about dismantling the power center to swap out the IC60 cell, but was thinking long term I’m guessing every few years I will probably need to replace the IC transformer/power supply, it seems like it would be easier to replace the entire stand alone IC power center instead of dismantling the integrated transformer in the easy touch subpanel, this seems like it might be more difficult but I’m not sure pros/cons, do you know is the IC transformer included with the integrated easy touch subpanel more reliable or any higher quality than what you get with the stand alone IC power center?

The Internal IC , transformer and power supply (Surge card) do not fail very often.. The transformer never fails except when some idiot hooks it up wrong..

The Power Center will work fine, it is just more of a pain to wire up.. Not a major issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

New EasyTouch panel installed last weekend, our electrician is coming back this weekend to finish installing the new GFI breakers and intellichlor power center, we also installed the new LED pool/spa lights, EasyTouch spa-side 4-button controller and hardwired indoor remote panel, system is already looking a lot cleaner & will be 100% up to current code now, making some good progress!

Attachments

• 744603C5-A186-4A22-89C7-7B8865570C6A.jpeg
    744603C5-A186-4A22-89C7-7B8865570C6A.jpeg
    597 KB · Views: 17
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.