Installing Circupool RJ60+ 110v or 220v

texas_scot

Sep 2, 2019
Austin, TX
I bit the bullet on switching to salt after 3 years of liquid chlorine. Paid the $20 to upgrade from RJ45+ to RJ60+ at discountsaltpool.com.

I am going to install this week. Question- is there an upside / downside on 110 vs 220? Either is doable for me. 1 more conductor to run for 220, but I have plenty on hand.

Thoughts?

Also any other advice before I start the install/commissioning?

Thanks

Which voltage does not matter to the unit. But you will need a timer to control the SWCG on / off times to coincide with your pump schedule, so that may impact it.

Be sure to test the water salinity before adding any salt.

Yes, I was planning on wiring it to the same circuit on my Aqualink as the pool pump is wired on. However, doesn't the flow switch act as a 'fallback' and stop the SWG from working if there isn't any water flow?

Back to the wiring, I guess my question was whether it would be better to have the phases balanced on the Aqualink or does it not really matter?

Yes, I was planning on wiring it to the same circuit on my Aqualink as the pool pump is wired on. However, doesn't the flow switch act as a 'fallback' and stop the SWG from working if there isn't any water flow?

The flow switch is the secondary safety device. The Aqualink pump relay is the primary safety.
Back to the wiring, I guess my question was whether it would be better to have the phases balanced on the Aqualink or does it not really matter?

Does not matter.

Generally with any load that can take either 120V or 240V, I use 240V. The reason is that the current consumed will be half (same power consumption). Voltage drop is a function of current, and in the case of long runs, you are more likely to need to upsize the wire if using 120V.

This is particularly important for larger draws like motors. Lower current internally also means less resistive heating = generally longer life with electronics. That said, with the RJ-60+ (rated 1A at 240V, 2A at 120V) it is not enough to be significant, so you are fine wither way.

As far as the number of conductors, you don't really need an extra for 240V because the RJ-60+ does not need a neutral, but like you I would also pull a neutral just for more flexibility in future use (could have 120V available from same run if needed).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.