Installing an oval pool

Krystal8808

May 15, 2022
South Carolina
Pool Size
Help!! I am installing an oval pool with buttresses. The entire track and buttresses are level but the track is not sitting on the ground. Can I dig down some and put a concrete block 2x4x16 under the track all the way around? I also plan on back filling 24” because this is a semi inground pool. Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

Can you post some pictures? I’m having a hard time trying to imagine what you described.

@kimkats, any suggestions?

I had a very unique installation situation, so one of the requirements I was looking on a AGP was possibility of using a hard bottom. The manufacturer said to mix 6 parts of sand with 1 part of Portland cement (aka mortar) to make the hard bottom. My hard bottom extends slightly outside the pool exactly to support the railing. Check you manual and see if it allows for something similar.
The other two things I can think of are dig down everything to make the ground perfect level or slowly add some fill on that side using Soil Compactor for every bit of dirt, but this second idea is not without risks (if the soil is not compacted as everything else it may move). Whatever you do don’t fill underneath the rail with sand.
Blocks of concrete may work, but they are very hard and with edges that could damage the liner if they move for any reason (let’s say freeze/thaw). There is not as much pressure between the bottom railing and the ground as there is on every column.

Last edited:
I really don't want to say this ...................but take everything backup and finish the leveling. It is not level and you are going to have to finish the job :( Lower the high spots only. Do NOT put anything down like sand/dirt, etc to try to raise the lower areas.

The stones the leg plates set on should be flush with the ground.

The rails may not touch each other inside the plate. That allows for some wiggle room to make the walls fit in the bottom rail just right.

Reactions: partsman and AK-
I just completed my 15x30 build and I had to use a pick-ax to dig down enough. It was backbreaking hard work. I had blisters forever. You really need to get those blocks level with the lowest point of solid ground and then dig down to get the other exactly the same.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Help!! I am installing an oval pool with buttresses. The entire track and buttresses are level but the track is not sitting on the ground. Can I dig down some and put a concrete block 2x4x16 under the track all the way around? I also plan on back filling 24” because this is a semi inground pool. Thanks
I’m in about the same spot! What did you end up doing?

When we dug for our pool, that whole side where the rocks are sitting on the grass was super hard (both senses of the word) to dig and level...but you have to do it. There's no other way around it. (yes, all those rocks came from that area i'm referring to)

uprights2.jpg

I have a sad and sore back for you :( You risk so much not doing it correct. See what a chisel and hammer does with the dirt. That might be just what you need to remove the hard stuff so the blocks sits level with the rest of them.
kimkats, I can't remember, how long ago did you install your pool?
It's been quite a few years now hasn't it?

Yikes. The ground is so hard and almost impossible to dig down more. I was hoping with concrete blocks and the sand and sand cove we would be ok.

If you have clay, it'll be rock hard when it's really dry.
What I ended up doing was finding ways to soften the clay by getting it wet, but not making it muddy. If it becomes muddy, it becomes sticky and just becomes a messy disaster. This means taking your time. Soaking it with a hose isn't going to get deep enough and will make the top mud.

A sprinkler misting it over night slowly and then allowing things to dry for a few hours may help greatly, but you need to keep a close eye on it. Do not let water pool in it anywhere.
Damp clay is really nice to work with. Dry clay is like concrete, literally, you can often break tools. Wet clay is a nightmare, just as bad as dry clay really.

Also, I found I could backfill using clay and tamping it and then allowing it to get fairly wet and then tamp it again. Backfilling DOES work, when done correctly. When done wrong, forget it, you're tearing the pool down and doing it over. This can come in very handy if you find you dug a block down an inch too far etc. Instead of digging the rest down an inch, backfill, tamp, get it wet, tamp, get it wet etc and make sure it's 100% packed and check everything again. DO NOT just toss loose soil in the hole and call it a day, that'll settle, a lot. A simple 2x4 on end can actually tamp really good because it's such a small surface area, but it takes a lot of time. But is reasonable to use for an area the size of a patio block.

In your case you need to keep digging unfortunately until most of that rail is firmly on the ground. If there's a minor gap here and there go ahead and fill it in with soil and pack it, but what you have now isn't going to cut it.

After your ground is level You need to start with the straight sides. The tops of those supports need to be level with the ground, they need to be dug in 2”. Then you can level the round ends after those are level and square. None of those pavers should be above ground level at all or they will end up going right through your liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.