Installing an EOS ozone generator in a Bullfrog R7 hot tub

At one point it was possible to buy electrostatic air purifiers that used high voltage capacitive plates and wires to charge up dust and smoke particles and then statically trap them on the plate surfaces. They were marketed to homeowners with smokers in the house as a way of keeping the air “fresh”. The originals ones only used simply fabric perfilters to capture large dust and hair so that the filter would sound like a bug zapper. But these filters would also generate a measurable quantity of ozone. It didn’t take long for people to complain before they started adding charcoal filters on the output to neutralized the ozone. I don’t think they sell them any longer. My parents had one when my dad used to smoke pipes and cigars (it was all the rage in the 70’s and 80’s) and the thing was a classic death trap for a child - all sheet metal and openings just big enough for tiny inquisitive fingers. I think the wires would charge up to a couple of hundred volts each but the plates were grounded. A well place metal fork from a curious kid could easily taze them … ask me how I know 🙄

Look at the link I posted, that is what I had.

It was a fabric pre-filter in the back. A set of "Living Lightning" ozone plates in the middle, and then a charcoal filter in the front. The plates consisted of two metal grids, held a small distance apart, with a high voltage between them.

Despite the charcoal filter, on high the thing cranked out a significant amount of ozone into the room.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
I still have mine, but have not used it in a long time. It helped my better half with here allergies, and when I smoked cigars or pipes in the house a few minutes on high could clear the living room. Then we had kids and I stopped smoking in the house, and the wires on the bottom between the plates started getting loose. It had an ozone feature, a wire just under the top grille that was powered a bit over a kilovolt. What cigar/pipe smoke that didn't wind up on the plates got charged and stuck to the walls and curtains.

The two cartridges had foam prefilters under them. I don't recall ever suffering side effects from running it on low but who knows, it was maybe the 80's.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.