Installing a Polaris booster pump

chrismyan

Aug 1, 2019
Monrovia, CA
I owned my pool for a couple years now but I had a pool guy maintaining it. I decided that it was time to do it myself so I started reading up on pool care here on TFP. So far I've got a handle of the chemicals (ph, CYA, FC, CC, Alkalinity, etc).

So background on my pool. It is a plaster pool that is about 15,000 gallons. It has a DE filter with a 1hp pump. From what I can see it has 1 skimmer and 1 return. I wanted to install a Polaris 380 with a Polaris booster pump since I have a few trees by the pool. My question are:

1) How do I plumb the booster pump? I've read that it should be connected after the filter and before the cleaner/return line. Can I just cut the 1 1/2 inch PVC coming after the filter, then use a fitting to adapt the 1 1/2 inch PVC to the 3/4 inch input of the booster pump, then connect booster pump outlet to the return line. There's a capped PVC pipe next to the return line. Can I connect the booster pump outlet here or is the capped pipe used for something else.
1) Would I need a booster pump if I only have 1 return?
2) Would the booster pump put additional pressure on the PVC pipe for my return? Should I be concerned of it cracking the PVC and causing leaks?
3) Would converting my only return jet to a cleaner cause more problems that it will solve? My goal is for the cleaner to clean the pool by sucking up the leaves, scrubbing the surfaces of the pool, and circulating the water/chemicals evenly throughout the pool.

I will provide a picture once I get home.

The Polaris 380 with its booster pump MUST have its own return. How many eyeballs do you have in the pool (you say a single return but is it split among several eyeballs)? One of them might be an old cleaner wall fitting. You need to find out where the capped pipe goes to - do you have a main drain?

The Polaris 380 with its booster pump MUST have its own return. How many eyeballs do you have in the pool (you say a single return but is it split among several eyeballs)? One of them might be an old cleaner wall fitting. You need to find out where the capped pipe goes to - do you have a main drain?

I have one return line with one eyeball. Would replacing my only return with a Polaris 380 cause any issues with pool?

By main drain do you mean a drain at the bottom of the pool? If yes then I don’t have a main drain.

The capped pipe goes underground. I’m not sure how to find out where the capped pipe leads to. I’ll try to get a picture of my current setup tonight. I got busy last night.

Get a robot powered by an electrical cord if your existing pool doesn't have the plumbing to drop in a booster pump to a return just for the Polaris. My oval pool has 3 returns opposite the skimmer and a return connection for the Polaris near the skimmer. You need the return with eyeball to skim the surface and will spend a lot more money on digging and plumbing than the extra cost of a nice robot (requiring no plumbing).

S
Get a robot powered by an electrical cord if your existing pool doesn't have the plumbing to drop in a booster pump to a return just for the Polaris. My oval pool has 3 returns opposite the skimmer and a return connection for the Polaris near the skimmer. You need the return with eyeball to skim the surface and will spend a lot more money on digging and plumbing than the extra cost of a nice robot (requiring no plumbing).

Why couldn’t I cut the pipe between the filter and pool return and put the booster there?

Can you give me more insight into why I need a dedicated return line for a Polaris 380?

I considered a robot cleaner. What are the average repair costs? My main reason in adding a cleaner is to reduce manually vacuuming the leaves that sink to the bottom of the pool. How are robots with this task?

Can you give me more insight into why I need a dedicated return line for a Polaris 380?

I considered a robot cleaner. What are the average repair costs? My main reason in adding a cleaner is to reduce manually vacuuming the leaves that sink to the bottom of the pool. How are robots with this task?
Vacuuming sounds like a big pain in the butt and I've never had to do it because I have a Polaris which runs 6 to 7 hours a day. When I bought the house four years ago, it came with all the plumbing and a Polaris and booster pump which appeared to be 15 to 20 years old. I have replaced the booster pump and completely rebuilt the Polaris to give me a constantly clean pool.

The robot is going to do a much better job scrubbing the bottom than a Polaris, I will admit. In your situation, you don't have the plumbing necessary for the booster pump so it is much easier to just get a robot which plugs into the wall. I have no interest in getting a robot because my pool came with all the plumbing and the equipment needed for a pressurized cleaner, which you don't have.

Just do the research and you will see the extra money for a good robot is so much cheaper than trying to redo your plumbing for a booster pump with pressurised Polaris.

Vacuuming sounds like a big pain in the butt and I've never had to do it because I have a Polaris which runs 6 to 7 hours a day. When I bought the house four years ago, it came with all the plumbing and a Polaris and booster pump which appeared to be 15 to 20 years old. I have replaced the booster pump and completely rebuilt the Polaris to give me a constantly clean pool.

The robot is going to do a much better job scrubbing the bottom than a Polaris, I will admit. In your situation, you don't have the plumbing necessary for the booster pump so it is much easier to just get a robot which plugs into the wall. I have no interest in getting a robot because my pool came with all the plumbing and the equipment needed for a pressurized cleaner, which you don't have.

Just do the research and you will see the extra money for a good robot is so much cheaper than trying to redo your plumbing for a booster pump with pressurised Polaris.

So it looks like effort wise a robot will be much less while the up front cost is much more. On the other hand a pressure side vacuum will be more effort in terms of plumbing and electrical but will cost less. One advantage that a pressure side has though is I won’t have to have to take it out on a weekly basis and the maintenance/replacement parts on them seem to be relatively cheap compared to a robot. Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So it looks like effort wise a robot will be much less while the up front cost is much more. On the other hand a pressure side vacuum will be more effort in terms of plumbing and electrical but will cost less. One advantage that a pressure side has though is I won’t have to have to take it out on a weekly basis and the maintenance/replacement parts on them seem to be relatively cheap compared to a robot. Thoughts?

Well, the cost of a Polaris 380 plus pump is about the same as a robot. Then you have the cost of plumbing and electrical. That will end up being way more than the robot. Moreover, you will be emptying the Polaris as often as you would empty the robot. The Polaris will cost $200-$300 in maintenance every 5-7 years (assuming you never break the frame - in that case, it would be full replacement cost). I have no idea what the repairs on the robot would be but maintenance costs should be pretty minimal.

Well, the cost of a Polaris 380 plus pump is about the same as a robot. Then you have the cost of plumbing and electrical. That will end up being way more than the robot. Moreover, you will be emptying the Polaris as often as you would empty the robot. The Polaris will cost $200-$300 in maintenance every 5-7 years (assuming you never break the frame - in that case, it would be full replacement cost). I have no idea what the repairs on the robot would be but maintenance costs should be pretty minimal.
sktn77a
:goodpost:
You sold me on the robot and I wasn't even considering a pressure-side cleaner :p

Reactions: Flying Tivo
chrismyan
I certainly don't blame you there.
You can't beat that price! :p

I have the 4-wheel version of that cleaner and it's a tank. And paired with my variable speed pump, it works fantastically.

I have been waiting on it to die for a while now, so I can justify a Maytronics robot. But based on it's history, I may be waiting a while.
I have thought a time or two about just taking it out to the range and shooting it so I can get that robot, but decided against that course of action. :p
Take care and best of luck with your new cleaner!
r..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.