NY, USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I finally got around to putting my installation timelapse together! This took place over 4 days in August. Sorry about the occasional glare (it's the reflection of the tripod on the window).

The pool is a Fox Ultimate which is an onground (also called hybrid or semi-inground). Enjoy!

I finally got around to putting my installation timelapse together! This took place over 4 days in August. Sorry about the occasional glare (it's the reflection of the tripod on the window).

The pool is a Fox Ultimate which is an onground (also called hybrid or semi-inground). Enjoy!

Do you mind me asking how much this pool was installed?

Do you mind me asking how much this pool was installed?

The total was about $31k for everything you see pictured in this video: frame/steps/liner, pad equipment, plumbing & electrical work, all labor. The water fill was the only thing not provided by the builder and that was another $800 or so. Then the following summer we spent about $25k on the patio area.

I see you also have a semi-inground. Is yours a similar setup?

The total was about $31k for everything you see pictured in this video: frame/steps/liner, pad equipment, plumbing & electrical work, all labor. The water fill was the only thing not provided by the builder and that was another $800 or so. Then the following summer we spent about $25k on the patio area.

I see you also have a semi-inground. Is yours a similar setup?
We have a local popular PB that is a Doughboy dealer that sold us a 12X24 semi-inground oval for around $23k installed. The only other option for our slope was a PB a few hours away that sold Stealth semi inground pools that were similar to the Doughboy Hydrosphere. Every time I see one of these they all have a different setup, so I was curious about yours. Ours only had 4 legs on both the straight sides, while yours looks like it had legs all around it. Did they do a concrete footer or anything? Was the backfill dirt or?

We're pending the concrete patio to be poured for ours sometime in the coming weeks. I absolutely love your setup!

Yeah each of the panels has those "fins" that you can see in this picture. Here's a picture from a different angle, immediately after construction, and you can see that they go all the way around. Then he poured a concrete collar about 18" tall all the way around and filled the rest with dirt.

When we put in the patio, the end result was one end totally flush so it's in-ground and the other end exposed on the slope. The patio wraps around and there are stone steps down the back. We used Unilock pavers for the patio and it wasn't cheap but we're really happy with the results!20200828_103157.jpgIMGP9233.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
Yeah each of the panels has those "fins" that you can see in this picture. Here's a picture from a different angle, immediately after construction, and you can see that they go all the way around. Then he poured a concrete collar about 18" tall all the way around and filled the rest with dirt.

When we put in the patio, the end result was one end totally flush so it's in-ground and the other end exposed on the slope. The patio wraps around and there are stone steps down the back. We used Unilock pavers for the patio and it wasn't cheap but we're really happy with the results!
You made a great choice. It looks incredible and works perfectly with your slope!

I feel like I'm going to have some regrets years later with our choice. The Hydrosphere doesn't look nearly as sturdy has yours, has relatively no fins, and they had less than 12" of concrete footer. Significantly less.

We're now putting just a basic poured concrete patio over what is mostly crushed stone and gravel fill. Makes me think it'll be cracking before we even get to swim next season. AND I feel like when we do replace the liner we'll be in trouble.

Last edited:
I don't know, what's the winter weather like in your area? Up here we get a lot of snow and a guaranteed hard freeze every winter. Sometimes we even go through multiple freeze/thaw cycles in one year. That's a lot of stress on the pool and is one of the reasons our builder only uses this particular brand of hybrid. There are a few others as well (in addition to the Doughboy, I think Radiant makes one) but he says the Fox is the only one he trusts to last through the Northeast winters. If your weather is not quite that extreme, your needs might be different.

I don't know, what's the winter weather like in your area? Up here we get a lot of snow and a guaranteed hard freeze every winter. Sometimes we even go through multiple freeze/thaw cycles in one year. That's a lot of stress on the pool and is one of the reasons our builder only uses this particular brand of hybrid. There are a few others as well (in addition to the Doughboy, I think Radiant makes one) but he says the Fox is the only one he trusts to last through the Northeast winters. If your weather is not quite that extreme, your needs might be different.
Yeah here in Arkansas we still shut down the city when it snows. Usually it is a rare occurrence for us with last year being the first time in forever of a real hard freeze.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.