Install of 12x24' Semi In-Ground Doughboy Pool in Arkansas

Sounds like u have accounted for the way the water flows around your house. If u notice erosion or standing water you could always add something like french drains on that side later since there’s no concrete there.
Danimal’s idea is a good one & doesn’t cost much $ or energy but will give u options in the future.

Reactions: Feernot
Yesterday they poured the concrete and today they're removing the Stegmeier cantilever deck forms. I was shocked to see that those cantilever deck forms aren't a bullnose or anything and are just straight edges. That wasn't communicated to me beforehand and I guess I just assumed they would have a rounded or bullnose edge. I've got some river rock I'll be adding to the planter spaces between the concrete and the retaining wall. This weekend they'll be pouring the steps that lead down to the back side of the pool down from where you see the blue fiberglass steps.

1638895457790.png
1638895474284.png

The skimmer situation is interesting 🤔 will it have a cover?
Very interesting indeed. *sigh*

It won't have a cover. It's an above ground in-wall skimmer and they didn't have a good plan. Doughboy makes a skimmer extension that would've been great but they are on backorder for who knows how long.

So they just did this. Haha. Honestly, I've learned so much in this process. I've taken too much for granted and evidently not pushed enough on some items. I should've had them nail down with my approval what that plan was.

But it's not like that back concrete ledge is for walking. However, it seems like water will be an issue. I've got to figure something out.

Also, there is a thin layer of mortar under the coping that goes too far. It would be a problem later on when a liner replacement occurs. I'm guessing chipping that thin layer isn't an issue and I'll do that sometime this weekend while cleaning the area and pool up from all the work. 20211208_114834.jpg

Overall, we got an in-ground pool experience on a sloped yard for less than we could've with a fiberglass or concrete setup. I think the Doughboy Hydrosphere was a great choice for us, but in hindsight I should've shopped the patio portion around a bit. Our guy for that job just didn't cover all I wanted and in the way I wanted.20211208_114933.jpg

Reactions: Mdragger88
I’m curious.. How much has everything cost u so far? This would be the ideal setup for my backyard if I wanted a more durable/ longer term solution than i have now as an actual inground isn’t feasible with my topography. As far as i know the hydrosphere & the radiant pools are the only ones that can accomplish this type of setup/durability & also allow for salt systems.

As far as i know the hydrosphere & the radiant pools are the only ones that can accomplish this type of setup/durability & also allow for salt systems.
Also check out Aquasport. I had some sister clone of it and it was a TANK. The parts buried for 17 years came out as clean as the day they went in. The struggles taking it down makes me believe there is no reason that most/ all of it couldn’t be buried. Look specifically for the models with no legs where every 5 inch wall piece interlocks instead. F076E818-AAD0-4B40-BCF0-C5F1483F619C.jpeg6C1785EF-3EE9-4699-AD29-F510FC165B70.jpeg43ADD213-6288-43E2-9832-26002AF35245.jpeg

• Wow
I’m curious.. How much has everything cost u so far? This would be the ideal setup for my backyard if I wanted a more durable/ longer term solution than i have now as an actual inground isn’t feasible with my topography. As far as i know the hydrosphere & the radiant pools are the only ones that can accomplish this type of setup/durability & also allow for salt systems.

Everything you see here was purchased for $38k. The retaining wall could've been more like half of the cost it was. The Hydrosphere $23k was total including the steps, install, and everything.

Hydrosphere Complete Package
$23,044.21​
Fill, Concrete, and labor for Patio
$10,000.00​
Retaining wall that was mostly unnecessary
$5,200.00​
Total
$38,244.21​

By comparison here locally, I had another guy that would do a 12X24 concrete in-ground rectangle for $42k with literally everything and a 4X4X4X6 concrete patio. The problem is that doesn't work with my slope and wouldn't have given us what we have here for our land.

Last edited:
I figured it would almost be on par $$ wise w/ an inground installation. Looks like I better get to saving for the future !
I too have quite a slope in the only good place for a pool. The other parts of my yard that would be perfect are where my septic/ treatment plant is & then where the power lines run so its a no go for inground for me 🥲

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.