marcus712

Jun 19, 2019
DFW
First Post here but have had several saltwater pools over the last 10 years and never seen this issue before.

Live in the Dallas area and we have had a very rainy few of months, so last night before bed I throw in a couple of bags of shock before going to bed to take care of some algae I see starting to form.

This morning I go check the pool and find 1000's of some kind of larvae attached to the pool walls just below water line. (see attached pic)

I tested the water and I has plenty of chlorine from the shock but the PH is high (8.0ish) so I use acid around the edges to lower the chlorine and kill the bugs. Was somewhat effective at the 2nd task.

What can i do the kill the rest of them, and where did the come from?

Attachments

• IMG_1996.JPG
    IMG_1996.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 28
I throw in a couple of bags of shock before going to bed to take care of some algae I see starting to form.
Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Your post said you had algae.
Some bugs are attracted to algae. Some on the forum use a small amount of Dawn dishwashing liquid in the pool to keep bugs from the pool surface.

Other than what Marty suggested, I can't tell you how to get rid of them, but I believe those are backswimmers or water boatmen. They do feed on algae. You can search here or Google for more info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.