Input System for Outdoor Speakers

Mpire

Jul 7, 2018
SE Louisiana
I have some outdoor speakers around the pool that are fed from an AV closet in the house. I currently just have a CD player plugged into the amp to provide the music.

Is there a product I can use to make playlists and control the music on my phone/a tablet that I can hook into the amp to play music. The pool area is out of bluetooth range from the AV closet, but within Wi-FI range.

I don’t know har far away you are, but they do make long range Bluetooth adapters. Here is one.

You could also run a couple wires and relocate the adapter within range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mpire
I have some outdoor speakers around the pool that are fed from an AV closet in the house. I currently just have a CD player plugged into the amp to provide the music.

Is there a product I can use to make playlists and control the music on my phone/a tablet that I can hook into the amp to play music. The pool area is out of bluetooth range from the AV closet, but within Wi-FI range.
i’m using echo dots. i think you can put one on your receiver in the closet and another in your outside area. set them up as a group

I think the bluetooth range won't make it for the adapter. It's about 75ft from pool to AV closet, through multiple walls. Maybe I could run RCA cable to the AV closet to the pool for the adapter.

I like the echo dot idea!

Thank you for the suggestions!

I use an AppleTV device (plugged into my analog integrated multichannel amp via an external DAC), and beam music to it via WiFi from an iPhone or iPad. This setup works well. The user interface on the i devices confusingly calls the feature Screen Mirroring; it used to be called AirPlay.

Reactions: GDN and Mpire
If the speakers are wired to the AV closet then Sonos is a good option. Or Amazon makes a Connect Amp that is much cheaper. If you go the Amazon route then you can do multi room with Echo devices. Or with Sonos multi room with Sonos wireless devices.

Both can be controlled by your phone or Alexa devices.

I think the bluetooth range won't make it for the adapter. It's about 75ft from pool to AV closet, through multiple walls. Maybe I could run RCA cable to the AV closet to the pool for the adapter.

I like the echo dot idea!

Thank you for the suggestions!
If you do go with Alexa (echo dot), you might as well consider using it for voice control of lighting and pool features. I have an echo dot in a battery powered speaker (to make it wireless) on my patio and it controls my music, pool lights, patio lighting as well as my spa pump and heater.

Last edited:
You could use a Google Chromecast if you have an HDMI input on your amp. They are really cheap.
I went with Chromecast audios to do this, they can be grouped. Too bad they (google) killed these things. You could still do this with dots or chromecasts for sure. We like being able to cast spotify directly to the zone(s) around the yard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I vote for the Sonos connect. I use a Sonos Connect AMP because I didn't already have an amp/receiver. I love how Sonos streams music without any delay from speaker to speaker. The same song is playing without any echo/delay in the kitchen, garage, by the pool, etc. Or you can play different songs in different zones.

Reactions: Ron Bell and Mpire
+1 on the Sonos. I've had it for years and I use it everywhere - around the pool (the Play 1 speakers are humidity-proof but not weather proof. They are in a well protected cove), in the garage, for the televisions, etc. It is a little pricey, but works easily and flawlessly for me.

Wow, for less than $200 I added Alexa control for my music, pool, spa, patio, and barbecue lighting, spa booster pump and heater.

+1 on the Sonos. I've had it for years and I use it everywhere - around the pool (the Play 1 speakers are humidity-proof but not weather proof. They are in a well protected cove), in the garage, for the televisions, etc. It is a little pricey, but works easily and flawlessly for me.

I have had Sonos for about 8 years and the multi room integration is the best. Back then they were the only ones that could stream internet music well, and be controlled by a phone or iPad. Most of my speakers are wired to Sonos amps. Also the iPhone/ipad apps are great and very easy to use. The Alexa integration is pretty good. That coupled with Pandora (and my other music services, but I seem to use Pandora the most) just makes listening easy. I recently added some Sonos One to fill in some gaps around the house (you can get those on sale for about $160). The sound quality of the Sonos speakers is excellent. The fact that every piece of Sonos equipment that I bought is still and use and integrates fully with any of the new stuff I buy from them is a pretty good story.

That being said, 8 years ago there were not many choices. If I had to do it again today with a fresh start I might just go all Amazon Echo devices with the Amazon AMP. I have not tried using the phone (so I cannot comment on the smoothness of the app) to control the Echo speakers that I have but obviously the voice integration is amazing. Also the Echo’s are so much cheaper now than Sonos. Almost to the point that they become disposable when Amazon releases the next version.

Also just as a side note, I use an Echo Tap around the pool and BBQ. It is easy and convenient. I just pull it off the charging stand and sit it beside the spa, pool, or grill and yell at it for next song when I don’t like the song or tell it to change the station. That is one of the best $100 moves that I made and now I don’t have to touch my phone with wet or sticky hands. Not to mention you will never believe how many times I actually ask it what time it is. For some reason I always want to know the time when I am in the pool.

The other option was to buy a bunch of dots when they go on sale and just mount them in strategic areas where they would not get too wet and change them out every couple of years when they go bad. I may try that out in the outdoor kitchen to see how that works out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.