Inline Puck Chlorinator

ka8yiu

Gold Supporter
Aug 11, 2016
SW FL
I only use my inline chlorinator if I will be out of town, or I need to raise my CYA a little without being in a hurry.

But, one thing I am curious about is how full the tube fills when my system is primed and running. If the chlorinator has one tablet in it, then X chlorine is being provided as it dissolves. However, if there are two pucks in it, and the tube is filled with water, would that mean that 2X chlorine is being created over the same time period, or X will be introduced over twice the time period?

I am sure it is not an exact measure, but just wondered how multiple tablets in the same unit will react. When I use it, I am usually not home to test it myself and see how the chlorine level is affected.

Good question. These are erosion devices, so I guess it would depend on the surface area exposed to water flow. if the pucks aren't touching each other, or the chhlorinator wall, and they are covered with moving water, I would think that the same erosion should take place no matter how many pucks are in there. Realistically, though they will be bunched up on top of each other, and some may be above the water level in the chlorinator, so multiple pucks will likely dissolve slower than single pucks.

They definitely don't dissolve evenly. I check my chlorinator every 6-7 days and there are usually pieces of each tablet left(i put in 5 or 6 a week), some are thin and mostly circular still and a could are almost gone or like a half circle or less. My chlorinator is an offline one, tiny hose, so maybe with yours they would dissolve faster/more evenly do to better water flow over them.

I actually never really understood this chlorinator since I rarely use it. But after watching some videos and experimenting today it seems I can “Prime” it to whatever level I want. The higher the water, the more pucks that should dissolve simultaneously. So, maybe I can have some control over amount and time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.