Initial Set Up of Intex Sand Filter and SWG

Mar 14, 2018
East Northport, NY
Hi all,

I'm sure this is probably obvious to all those with experience with pools, but I'm in the process of setting up our first pool and don't want to mess up.

We just filled our Intex pool and I have "hooked up" the Intex sand filter and SWG we purchased. It seems the water flows from the pool, through the sand filter, into the saltwater generator, then back to the pool - if I set it up correctly, that is. I haven't actually turned anything on yet.

My question is this: I am supposed to initially back-wash the filter and then run the filter alone for 24 hours; before adding salt to the pool and starting the salt water generator. Do I need to "unhook" the SWG in order to accomplish this? Do I simply power up the filter, but not the SWG (will water just flow through passively)? Do I power up both, but somehow not actually run the SWG?

I haven't found any guidance on the above in the actual manuals.

I'm sure these questions sound so stupid to people who actually know how to use these systems, but I don't want to mess anything up before we have even gotten started!

Thanks for any help!

Yes, rinse the sand before turning it to filter. You do not need to unhook the SWG before adding salt. Once the salt is dissolved the SWG will begin to generate chlorine. You will need to add CYA and an initial dose of liquid chlorine to get the pool started. SWGs are great and maintaining FC but need some help to get to the target FC level to start. Do you have a test kit yet?

Hello. Hard to tell from your info if you have the combo. If you do, pressing the two circled buttons for a few seconds when you first start the pump will allow you to run pump only (my display reads FP when I do this.)

If you don’t have the combo, then not turning the SWG on while the pump is running is the way to go.

9957E7E9-E0C3-4289-B89C-CE157306B53B.jpg

Yes, rinse the sand before turning it to filter. You do not need to unhook the SWG before adding salt. Once the salt is dissolved the SWG will begin to generate chlorine. You will need to add CYA and an initial dose of liquid chlorine to get the pool started. SWGs are great and maintaining FC but need some help to get to the target FC level to start. Do you have a test kit yet?

Thank you!

My initial round of salt and CYA are currently dissolving and the filter is running (no SWG yet). Are you able to help guid me in regards to how much liquid chlorine to put in to get the pool started?

I have a TF-100 test kit, but it's still in its box - I've been finding the initial pool set-up to be as much as I can think about the past few days! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Hello. Hard to tell from your info if you have the combo. If you do, pressing the two circled buttons for a few seconds when you first start the pump will allow you to run pump only (my display reads FP when I do this.)

If you don’t have the combo, then not turning the SWG on while the pump is running is the way to go.

View attachment 79630

Thank you! I ordered the two pieces (the filter and SWG) together, but not sure if they are the "combo" unit or not. They have separate plugs, which I am finding annoying because both plugs have a huge receptacle base and I can only fit 1 plug per dual-outlet. Is that standard? Luckily, we are able to reach two separate outlets with the cords, but I hadn't anticipated that.

At any rate, thanks for your help! Right now I am running the filter alone and the water seems to be flowing through the SWG (turned off) without issue. I will check out whether those two buttons are the same as what I have and use that approach in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.