Initial balancing for my hottub

wfrazier81

Jan 4, 2021
Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm new to using Pool Math after struggling to keep my hottub balanced on my own. I was using a bromine kit from the supplier before. Now, off of the recommendation of a friend, I'm starting over using chlorine bleach. I'm wondering if I need to put in an initial larger amount of chlorine to shock it before resuming normal additions. When I put into the app that I have a reading of zero for chlorine, it tells me to add 2 oz and 2 tsp. When I test the water again though, I get no chlorine reading still. How can I boost those numbers? How often should I be testing the water? How regularly should I plan to be adding bleach? Any info would be so helpful!

Get to work @jseyfert3! (I don't know anything about spas, but j does!)

Welcome to TFP! Glad you found us. We'll get you fixed up quick. j is probably out in his tub, but he'll be back soon! 😜

Last edited:
Hey, welcome! How big is your hot tub (gallons), and what are you using to test for chlorine? Also you're using bleach? What %, and do you know how old it is? I can post more later tonight.

Get to work @jseyfert3! (I don't know anything about spas, but j does!)

Welcome to TFP! Glad you found us. We'll get you fixed up quick. j is probably out in his tub, but he'll be back soon! 😜
No, at work. 🤫

Reactions: Dirk
Hey @wfrazier81, I see you poked in here yesterday evening, but didn't post. I wasn't trying to ignore you, but I was waiting for you to answer my earlier questions:
Hey, welcome! How big is your hot tub (gallons), and what are you using to test for chlorine? Also you're using bleach? What %, and do you know how old it is? I can post more later tonight.

Nothing personal, it's just hard to give specific advise without knowing a couple things first! I can give some general advise and link a couple articles for you to read while I wait though. First and foremost, if you don't know what your water parameters are, it's impossible to properly maintain a pool or spa. So the first thing we tell anybody that finds us is that we need you to get a good, drop based kit containing the FAS-DPD test. This is critical, test strips are not accurate. There's a few different options but the recommended ones are the K-2006C available on Amazon and elsewhere and the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. Yes, I know this seems expensive vs some cheap strips, but it's important to have. I do also recommend you get the SpeedStir, it makes the tests much faster and easier to do, but it's not required.

Here's a few things you could read:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Ok, so my hottub is 6 months old, 240 gallons. It's an Aquarest spa that's made of polyethylene. It claims to have an easy kleenex filtration system. It does use ozone and round accordion cartridges. I have a basic Taylor k1001 kit for testing chlorine and ph. I'm using bleach for the chlorine (4.5%). Thank you so much for your help!!

wfrazier81, you can help us help you better by putting all your spa and equipment info into your signature.

And you can easily correct any of your posts, at any time, by using the "Edit" button located at the bottom of each of your posts.

wfrazier81, you can help us help you better by putting all your spa and equipment info into your signature.

And you can easily correct any of your posts, at any time, by using the "Edit" button located at the bottom of each of your posts.
I think I should have it out there now. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So the fact you have ozone explains things. Read up on what it does. In a nutshell it burns off chlorine quickly. You could dump a cup of chlorine amd 24hrs later it will test as almost nothing. It also helps sanitize the water somewhat. Just balance your water not worrying about FC. Add FC every few days amd hit it with a few ounces after a good soak. That's all I do.

So the fact you have ozone explains things. Read up on what it does. In a nutshell it burns off chlorine quickly. You could dump a cup of chlorine amd 24hrs later it will test as almost nothing. It also helps sanitize the water somewhat. Just balance your water not worrying about FC. Add FC every few days amd hit it with a few ounces after a good soak. That's all I do.
That's super helpful! Thank you! I'll read up about ozone. So, if I don't balance for FC, what should I be looking at? How much FC should I add every few days? Will I end up needing to add more chlorine over time since the ozone uses it up? Thank you so much for your help!

With ozone you will never maintain FC like a pool for example. You balance everything else amd focus on keeping ph in check. That's the biggest spa battle you cam just add a little chlorine every few days amd you dose heavy after an actual use. I use about 1-2oz for an hour per person soaking as a rough guess. I honestly just splash it by eye. Every other week or so I do full water test amd I test ph b4 i use it. We do 2 to 3 dips a week

With ozone you will never maintain FC like a pool for example. You balance everything else amd focus on keeping ph in check. That's the biggest spa battle you cam just add a little chlorine every few days amd you dose heavy after an actual use. I use about 1-2oz for an hour per person soaking as a rough guess. I honestly just splash it by eye. Every other week or so I do full water test amd I test ph b4 i use it. We do 2 to 3 dips a week

That's really helpful! Thank you. Would my basic Taylor 1001 test kit be sufficient then for keeping an eye on the pH or will I need one of the more extensive test kits?

The Taylor 1001 should be good for your pH. It's can actually read a bit higher than my 2006.
The 1001 can read pH 6.8, 7.2, 7.5, 7.8 and 8.2.
It's not as granular as the 2006, but that shouldn't matter much for a hot tub.

It's the chlorine test (FC) in that kit that is lacking, but might be OK for your purpose.
It can read up to 5ppm, but no higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.