Inherited Pool

Docc2

Aug 1, 2018
Wolcott, CT
Hi - we brought a new house almost 2 years ago and with it came a beautiful luxurious in-ground pool. Since our initial adoration - things have changed for the pool virgins (my husband and I). I now realize that having a pool is really like having another child which requires as much attention as when they were infants (which was many years ago for us). Trying to keep it in its original beauty is very hard work - and TOTALLY EXPENSIVE!! Last year we spent almost $10,000 and this year so far about $5000. Last year, we had to purchase a new heater, wiring to the propane tanks had to brought up to code, electrical work and chemicals galore. This year when we opened the pool - it was the color of coffee. Scared me to death. I thought they were going to find a body in there. But after a week and half the pool (using a local pool service) looked beautiful once again. I love looking down at the pool from the second floor of my house and being able to see straight to the bottom in the deep end. But again - that is no easy feat. We have an old chlorine dispenser which eats those tablets like crazy (costly). We were told to backwash every two weeks and then put in Diatomite Filter Media afterwards. We missed a week and the pool became very cloudy. We were told to keep the chlorine dispenser filled and it would clear up. We had let the tablets dissolve down to about 1/4 of the dispenser. We filled it and of course - it did nothing. Then was told to buy some Polymeric Clarifier. If the first dose didn't work after 24 hours then add another dose. The pool looks like its clearing up some but not like how it was. Last year, the pool service we used - when it got cloudy it was pretty blue by morning. They were crazy expensive though, so we had to get another one. Oh yes, and when they opened the pool, (service from last year) they saw it was coffee colored and did nothing but leave a bill of over $500 for putting some chemicals in it. Never called back to check and not even a suggestion. But we live and learn. Any suggestions for the pool virgins? Another quirky question, my neighbor's pool so such a pretty blue - like a Caribbean blue . Is there a way we can have ours look the same? Ours is very light.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

This forum advocate’s pool owner water testing using a proper test kit. Order a TF100 test kit. It is properly sized for the residential pool owner.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.

I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

You need to begin the way Marty said. Once you get your test kit you will likely find your CYA is way high. That will be the first thing for you to correct.

You ask why was maintaining your pool easier last year then this year? Likely your CYA was lower last year. Every tablet added to your dispenser added chlorine and CYA to your pool. The CL gets used but the CYA accumulates until you drain water out. So your CYA level has been climbing for the last 2 years slowly causing more of a problem.

We don’t use tablets in the TFPC methods. Liquid chlorine/bleach is used for chlorine and muriatic acid to control PH and lower TA.

Get your test kit. Confirm my thesis and we can help you move forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks mknauss for the suggested reading, I am definitely in understanding mode. One thing that is free, is pool water testing. The company is close and we just bring in a sample and it is tested.

We have found pool company testing may be free but is often inaccurate. You need to be doing your own tests that you know are accurate and repeatable.

Thanks mknauss for the suggested reading, I am definitely in understanding mode. One thing that is free, is pool water testing. The company is close and we just bring in a sample and it is tested.

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm going to chime in and advocate for a good testing kit as well. You say the pool company tests for free and most anyone here who tests their own water will tell you the store testing is worth what you pay them for it.

Welcome :)