"Inherited" Chemicals - keep or dispose (and how)

Burke_B

Apr 20, 2022
San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good morning all!

As previously shared, I just purchased a house with a pool and am quickly learning the TFP ways of pool maintenance. The previous owners left a few chemicals in the house and, based on my reading here, I have a couple that aren't recommended (pic below). Each bottle is more or less half full so about a quart of product I would guess. Assuming I should dispose of them, any suggestions on how?

They also left me a test kit with reagents that all expired in mid 2020. How should I dispose of all of those reagents?

Thanks all!

Burke

IMG_0397.jpeg

What type of sewage system does your house have?

My house is tied into the local sewage system and I would just pour those chemicals and old reagents down the drain with the water running to dilute them. That is not recommended is you are on a septic system.

My house is tied into the local sewage system and I would just pour those chemicals and old reagents down the drain with the water running to dilute them. That is not recommended is you are on a septic system.
I am on the public sewer system as well.

+1

That phosphorus remover probably doesn't have enough active chemical (even at 20% more than PhosFree) to do any harm (or actually remove phosphates from your pool). The clarifier is probably similar to treatments added to municipal waste at treatment plants anyway, so also would be fine. Same with testing reagents; Small volume down the sink with the water running. "The solution to pollution is dilution," as the saying goes. Not always true, though- If you had a bottle of some scale remover with hydrofluoric acid in it I'd be telling you something different. But all of this can go to the sewer diluted with water, IMHO.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.