Inground skimmer flapper

whixkid41

Gold Supporter
May 26, 2018
Long Island, NY
Hi All,

Can some one explain the usefulness of the flapper on the skimmer other than getting stuck in the up position throwing my pump into priming mode? Several times now my system has shut down because the flapper has closed up starving the pump of water. My water level is half way up the skimmer which i think is the correct height. Can i take the flapper out?

Thanks!

I think this post will be able to explain it better than I can...

Find the spot where the weir is sticking and correct it. Sometimes there is a little mortar or concrete that needs to be chipped out. Sometimes there is a fit or finish issue with the weird that can be sanded down.

Weirs are essential to effective skimming. Our new old pool in Florida doesn't have a weir and the skimming is terrible. I need to get out there with a tape measure and order a new one asap.

I will take another look but it seems pretty good. Again, last night i noticed the pump was crazy loud, i went outside and the flap was closed basically starving the system of water. We did get a ton of rain so im wondering if to high of a water level makes it way more sensitive to closure? In any case i feel like im going to burn my pump out after 2 months of use as this has happened a few rimes already.

I inspected both the opening and the door itself for any abnormalities - all seems fine. Had the pump at 35 gpm, woke up this am to 0 gpm and a screaming pump ?. Of all the problems i expected of owning a pool, lack of water was not one of them...

My pool was built with a "floating weir" skimmer that does not use a weir door. Because the skimmer basket floats, it is not sensitive to changes in water level. Depending on your skimmer type, you may be able to find a retrofit floating weir/basket that fits your skimmer.

"

Edit...forgot to mention...you would remove your existing weir door with this style skimmer.

Last edited:
Interesting....I will look into the floating wier. I have hayward skimmers - square tops, wound baskets

What i do not understand, under what circumstance would u ever want to close the weir? Winterization maybe? I think i might just remove the Dang thing. Id rather hand skim than fork over another 1k for a new pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try removing the door and putting some pool magic or other silicone lubricant on the pins and replacing it. It might be sticking at the pivot pins. It should move absolutely freely and should float freely back and forth even when "closed". If you agitate the water when the pump is off, you should hear it banging up against the stops with the wave motion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.