Inground pool stair repair

Dreawitholdpool

Jul 11, 2022
Central WA state
Hi. I have a very old inground fiberglass pool. Old as in, it was one of the first pools in my city. It's still in great shape overall but we found a crack in the stairs last summer. I "repaired" it with marine putty last year just to get is through the season. This spring we went over the stair with a fiberglass kit. It has now cracked again, near the patched area. It feels as though they need to be reinforced underneath the stairs. Is this something that can be repaired or do we have to replace the stairs? There is no liner, just fiberglass and I can't find a seam on either side of the stairs that would indicate they aren't part of the shell. The cracks aren't huge holes, but it was enough to cause us to lose almost 4 inches overnight last summer. Can I cut open that hole, fill area under stairs with gravel and then use another fiberglass kit? Lastly, can this be a diy project? I've included a picture of the stairs. The crack had just been repaired a few days before this picture and is located in the middle of the last stair. It's on the part you step on, not the riser.

Attachments

• 20220611_163026.jpg
    20220611_163026.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 18
Welcome to TFP.

You need to find someone who does fiberglass repairs to boats or Corvettes. I think they can point you to what repair materials and methods would work best.

Reactions: Dreawitholdpool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.