Infuriated about unlevel concrete pad, advice on leveling oval pool

burtmacklin

Jul 19, 2021
Vineyard, Utah
We bought one of those Bestway Power Steel pools from Costco this summer - it's a 12' x 22' x 48" oval shape. We bought it on a whim, then discovered that oh, you can't just set up a pool on your existing grass all willy-nilly without putting in some intensive work to level a spot. So, we decided to pour some concrete on the far side of our yard since we someday want to put a hot tub out there too, so might as well get a head start.

We found someone to pour us a 45' x 16' concrete slab for about $7k, and they knew from the beginning that it HAS to be level since a pool will be going on top of it. No exceptions. We set up our pool and started filling it up, and noticed the concrete is off by about 3" for the width of the pool. I am absolutely outraged. The guy tried to convince me "oh it will be fine, I've seen pools more sloped than that." He doesn't understand, that doesn't matter - I paid you to pour me a level concrete slab and you failed to do the job properly. Anyway, the best I could get out of him was a $1k partial refund. I didn't sign a contract or anything - just a verbal agreement, so I can't bring attorneys in or anything. Rookie mistake, lesson learned.

I'm going to have to have someone else come out, rip up the most sloped parts of the concrete and try to re-pour those and fix it for me. But there's no way I have time to do that right now and still have my family enjoy a pool for very much of the summer we have left. I'll plan on getting that done before next summer when we put the pool back up after winter.

So, anyway, we continued filling it up holding our breath, and hoping that this will last a month or two for the rest of the summer. I'm still paranoid about it, as I've read everywhere than anything above 2" is unacceptable. Is there anything I can do with a pool like this to have it sit level on the concrete until I can get the whole slab fixed? We tried initially putting wood blocks underneath the supports on the lower side, but quickly realized that would just lift part of the liner off the ground and provide even less support at the bottom while still being lopsided.

I realize I sound like every schmo who tries to justify living with an unlevel pool, but I'm just honestly wondering what I can do to get this thing level enough on this concrete slab for the next couple months. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0904.jpeg
    IMG_0904.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 44
3 inches is a lot bro. I guess you could put some pavers down under the low posts. The vinyl will stretch and it’s not gonna be pretty either but it’ll work. Make the kids promise not to horseplay around the frame and no major wave action to the low spots. The make self leveling cement. I wonder if it can be overlaid on top of the pad? It wouldn’t be cheap but either is redoing the pad, if it would work.

Welcome to the forum!

There is a discussion at the start of our video about installing an above ground pool. Take a look.

If you are looking to do an overlay, look at the "Elite Crete" product. It is considered one of the best and strongest on the market. The only issue I see with this product is that it is typically used for 1/16 to 1/2 of an inch in thickness. But I am not a mason, so there might be alternative solutions with this product.

Reactions: burtmacklin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.