Informed noob using Borax!

Arstechnica

Jul 30, 2010
Okay first off I am new to this site and think it is really awesome! I take care of my own pool and it looks great. I wanted to use optimizer but was turned off by the $245 price tag, then I found this site and a very nice post about using Borax. My pool is 10,000 SWG will recheck all parameters before dosing, per aforementioned post. Just want to make sure that 32 lbs of 20 Mule Team Borax is what I need, simple math but I am just pussyfooting b/c this is my first time.

Thanks in Advanced!

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Welcome to TFP!

To raise borates from 0 to 50 in 10,000 gallons, I get 37lbs of borax (7.8 boxes) and 2 gallons plus 3 cups of 31.45% muriatic acid.

Alternatively you could use 24 lbs of boric acid, which is a little more expensive but much simpler.

Arstechnica

Jul 30, 2010
Followed the instructions and I am happy with the results. I took a sample and they told me that the borates levels are 30-50 ppm, thanks so much. I plan on just dosing Borax once at the beggining of summer, is that okay? Or is it better to keep the levels up all year long?
Thanks

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
NY
To be at exactly 50 ppm is not that important, but that is the starting point where most of the benefits are noticed. I brought mine up to 50 ppm and then add a box of borax every month or so since I have a sand filter and backwash/replace water. 50-80ppm is still safe and effective.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
Your fine. Typically you raise the borate level to around 50 and it will slowly drift down from backwashing, splash out, etc, and still be at least 30 by fall.

Arstechnica

Jul 30, 2010
Jason and Dman,

Thanks! I dont have a test kit to monitor borates, but the dip stick that was used at the poolsuppy store just gave a rough value of 30 - 50 ppm. So I wont be able to get a exact measurement. I guess i could add 4 boxes every 6 months.

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
NY
tftestkits.net has borate test strips...and while you're there pick up a TF100 and a speedstir :goodjob:

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
C Testing and Balancing Your Water 6

Other Threads of Interest