Infinity Pool Remodel and Plumbing Questions

bwikel

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2019
North Alabama
Looking for some advice. I have an infinity edge pool that I inherited with a house purchase and I will be remodeling it over the next 2 winters after closing. It currently has a single skimmer in the catch basin as the only suction side supply to the pump/filter. I have a main drain and access to tie into it but was wondering what the best way to do so would be. I could tie it into my skimmer but I fear when the pump doesn't run I would overflow my basin. I think the other option would be add jandy valves inline to divert as needed but where can the valves be located, down by the catch basin near the skimmer or by the pump that is above the grade of the pool? The addition of a valve close to the skimmer would be a pretty simple change for me and I could do that anytime with zero pool downtime.

My other question is about the edge detail of the infinity wall. Currently mine is somewhat rounded at the top. When I pull the paint off my concrete and resurface with plaster/pebble I would like to change the edge also. I have read the options are edge into or away from the pool. I was considering doing this with safety grip coping stones on top of the wall with the edge towards the pool to prevent water from over shooting my basin when someone jumps in and creates a big wave. Thoughts?

The main drain current just dead ends after it clears the bottom of the pool with a PVC cut off valve at the end.

I attached a pic of the edge now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190803-135012_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190803-135012_Gallery.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 32
Yes there is a single skimmer located in the basin and the only source of water on the suction side. The main drain is not tied to anything it currently dead ends after it clears the bottom of the basin in the center of the pool. I'll hand draw a diagram of the plumbing if needed?

What's the setup for water level an auto fill? As for the edge it's very tricky to finish an edge and do it right when tiling. To make it look good you have to be dead level all the way across. Any slight variation will show on the leading edge water finds it's TRUE level

The basin has a auto leveler in it but it is not located inside the skimmer. The water level in the basin is kept about 3-4 inches below the coping which hits about half way up the skimmer mouth.

Where is the best place to locate jandy valves when I tie my main drain into my suction side? Will it be effective if placed in the same area as the skimmer (which is about 4-5 ft. below the grade of the infinity edge water level) or should it be placed at the pump level (which is 2-3 ft. above the the grade of the infinity edge)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.