Infinity pool maintenance

gsnake

Jun 16, 2019
Vancouver, BC
hello,

I am a new owner of infinity pool, the pool is quite small - 25x15x5f.. The pool has two pumps (of course) and the previous owner (or the guy who was flipping the house) had them replaced. the pumps are both Hayward Super pump (2HP and 0.7HP). Funny the contractor that was replacing the pumps messed them up and used the 2HP pump as the overflow pump and 0.7HP pump as the main pump. So I was wondering why the overflow pump creates something like niagara falls when it is running :)
Luckily I met a guy who initially built the pool and when I asked him this question he suggested swapping the pumps. Now it works much better!
And btw, I have Paramount in floor cleaning system and it was suffering by not having enough pressure too (with the small pump).
Now all is good but I am wondering what is the best way to run these pumps..
How long should I run the overflow pump - should it be enough just to recirculate the water at the basin or it the basin should act as a skimmer and the pump should be on (most of the time)? and the big pump should just kick in to run the jets (once in a while)?
Currently I am running them 3 times a day for 1 hr small pump, then 3 hours big one..

thanks! :)

Welcome to the forum!
Sorry you have received no responses. Both infinity edge pools and in floor cleaners are pretty unique.
Let's tag a member that may be able to guide you on the IFC -- @Dodger

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Welcome to the forum!
Sorry you have received no responses. Both infinity edge pools and in floor cleaners are pretty unique.
Let's tag a member that may be able to guide you on the IFC -- @Dodger

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.
thank you @mknauss. mostly i am interested in how long the overflow pump runs for infinity pools.. i guess the main pump should be on long enough to run the water through the filter.. so what is the job of the overflow one? :)

Sorry but I have no background in infinity pools. It is a rare pool design for DIY pool owners whom populate this forum.

Take care.

Reactions: gsnake
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.