moore887

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 14, 2018
CAPE CORAL
20210921_125845.jpg

I probably should have taken a better photo but the salt system, filter and ball valves actually belong to a sperate pump that just does the pool. The pump in the photo just has the blow off valve, the suction line with the check valve (which works although I have no idea why it's even there) and the suction line.

The owner says that it worked sometimes and he would have to turn on and off the pump to get it to prime. When you put a hose into the pump basket, the infinity edge trough just overflows into the yard. The pressure side goes to two return jets at the pool. The owner replaced the motor this week after the other one burnt out.

I have an idea myself what the problem could be just because I have 4 other infinity edge pools on my route, but I would be very interested to hear what the experts think and what possible solution there could be.

Thanks!

Dave,

If you open what you call a "blow off valve", does the pump prime??

Sounds to me like the impeller is not working or maybe your check valve in the pressure line is in backwards..

I assume the input line is good, since putting water into the pump basket flows back to the pool.

What do you suspect it is???

Thanks,

Jim R.

You didn't give us much to work with but here goes...My big swing.....It's the pump lid. Swap it out with a new o ring.

Really tho, it's the lid. Change the whole lid not just part of it. And the oring.

Last edited:
I checked the check valve by opening to top union ( I couldn't budge the bottom one) but the spring works fine and creates a seal. I didn't open the blow off valve, i guess I should have in case it worked the same as opening the bleed screw on a filter and just gave it that little extra suction. I sprayed some lube on the pump basket O ring. The pump over the other side is identical so I could get him to swap the lids over.
The check valve is on the PRESSSURE side, which I thought was strange as that line goes back to the pool to send the water from the trough to the pool and cause the spill over. I was surprised that there wasn't a check valve on the suction side of the pump. I honestly can't see a pump having enough power to pull water up out of the trough over that distance without one. I own and advantage manufacturing portable filtration system and without the flapper check valve on the front, it would never prime. I think if there was a check valve on the front then at least you could fill the pump basket to the top, put the lid on and create a good suck that would hopefully pull the water up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.