Indoor/I ground pool unknown material

Magnolia9200

May 28, 2021
Michigan
My family bought this house with an inground/indoor pool. We are trying to repair all the problems with it . We have found that the previous owner has drained the water from it and the frost has pushed the bottom of the pool upwards and cracked the pool. There are spots that sound hallow when tapped on. Can someone tell me what this material is? It looks to me like fiberglass and I need to know the best course of action as to how to repair this before I waterproof the pool and paint it. Thank you so much

E92C275D-0E55-4A2B-8EB1-48E8B802BB92.jpeg6F5340C6-F70F-41DC-B514-987DB87A45AB.jpeg

Plaster as in plaster that is used in drywall plastering ? I will add addition pictures thank you for all your replies .
No. Concrete(gunite) pools are constructed in two layers. The inner structural layer is reinforced cement, and the waterproofing later is a type of cement based plaster (somewhat like stucco) Yours looks like there is fiberglass under the area where the pieces broke loose. But the broken pieces look like plaster, stucco, or something other than fiberglass.
I’ve heard of some people fiberglassing over the cement to seal it back up but never the other way around.

They could have embedded an alkaline resistant fiber mesh into the concrete. Is the material that the fiber is embedded in cementatious?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like a gunite pool with a coating of plaster or fiberglass and then paint.

I would remove everything down to the bare gunite/shotcrete and plaster it.

You should probably get some local companies to give you evaluations and proposals.

It might be a hybrid pool with fiberglass walls and a concrete bottom.

Here are some videos showing the type of pool.

The wall seams get caulked, the walls typically get painted.

The floor can be painted or plastered.

Paint today stinks and it does not do well, so the floor should probably be plastered.

Do the walls sound hollow when you tap on them or solid like concrete?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.