Independent Mom seeking AG pool advice

AmyAmy

Aug 10, 2021
MA
we have an 18 foot round above ground pool with a DE filter. We do not have high volume activity so I’m laying low on chemicals trying to learn about the pool as we go.
Unfortunately, we had to have our electrical Jerry rigged for a couple of weeks to get some basic chemicals in to swim. That in itself, has made me a bit nervous about leaving the pump running even though our electrical is finally complete!
To date our pool has been crystal clear but our phosphorus is extremely high (went to two places for water testing) I added a bottle of remover to the skimmer and our pool is now cloudy and the PSI is up each day even with bumping/backwashing if i’m even doing that correctly… I’m nervous because we go away in two days and I don’t wanna leave the pool constantly running. I do have a timer. Suggestions?

Amy.... here at TFP we don't give a fig about phosphates. Rarely are they a problem, yet *if* one was going to deal with them we guide them to a true phosphate remover. Pool stores push a very diluted potion which is a big waste of money.

More importantly to your chemistry needs is a reliable test kit to keep you *out* of the pool stores. Those free pool tests they offer are just about always guaranteed to find a problem so they can sell you the "solution". We've proven time and again that pool store testing is usually wrong.
Test Kits Compared I prefer the TF-100 available at www.tftestkits.net or the K-2006C available on Amazon.

Let me page a good chemical guy who may have some input on the cloudy pool and how to deal with it-
🎶 paging @JoyfulNoise 🎶

Take a look at our PoolSchool lessons.... here are some to start with:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Levels

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: AmyAmy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.