Increasing pH via aeration - sump pump venturi rig

carlos31820

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 22, 2010
Midland, Georgia
As many of you know, my pool has a chronic metal stain issue that I keep under control using Proteam's Metal Magic product. This product, over time, tends to lower my pH as it is very acidic.

Currently, my pH is around 6.8 so I'm trying to see how effective it would be to increase pH via aeration instead of Borax. I have to add so much Borax at times that it turns the pool into a cloudy mess. Since the pool is so cold, I decided to try aeration instead of the usual Borax regimen.

Initially, I had a sump pump with a short piece of garden hose shooting water back into the pool. I ran this setup for several days and saw no discernible increase in the pH level. Here is a photo of that setup. Ignore the snow, it was a once every couple year snow event for west central Georgia.

IMG_1715.jpg

After reading some more, it looks like that magic in aeration for pH increase is to really create lots of tiny air bubbles. So now, I have modified the sump pump rig with a piece of 1.25" PVC. I drilled a hole on top of the PVC pipe and inserted a piece of sprinkler pipe with a V-cut notch facing away from from the flow of water. This is sort of like a venturi valve in that it suctions air from the black sprinkler pipe as water rushes by and creates a low-pressure pocket at the black pipe.

fullsizeoutput_60e.jpg
fullsizeoutput_60f.jpg
IMG_1736.jpg

Also, here is a video of the updated rig. Hopefully it will work this time.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_referrer=watch&video_id=R4b0XWHvAIM

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.