Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello!
I recently moved into a place with 36,000 gallon vinyl liner pool.
i have backwashed the sand filter, but I still wish the vacuum would be stronger. It has one 86 gallon/min 1 horsepower pump. There is only one suction side pipe (with 1 skimmer and 1 vacuum port both connecting to the same pipe). Vacuum port is closer to the pump/filter.
I’m wondering if I can block off the skimmer to increase suction to the vacuum port?
Thank you in advance for any advice.

As Mike stated, check your skimmer.
Do you attach your cleaner hose into the skimmer or use a skimmer plate?

ES,

So, re-reading your first post, it appears you have a vacuum port on the side wall of your pool... I have never seen a pool with a vac port and only one pipe coming out of the ground.. :scratch:

Based upon the pic, I say go ahead and try blocking the skimmer and see what happens.. It would be best if you could have someone else block the skimmer (with the vac port open) while you look at the pump.. If the pump suddenly runs out of water, you will know that the pump can't draw enough water through the vac port to allow the pump to run.. If this is the case, you could try blocking off only part of the skimmer.

In your particular case, blocking off the skimmer should increase the water flow through the vac port.

Keep in mind that most pools with only one pipe have the main drain plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer. When you block off the skimmer pipe, it just may switch over to the main drain.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ES,

So, re-reading your first post, it appears you have a vacuum port on the side wall of your pool... I have never seen a pool with a vac port and only one pipe coming out of the ground.. :scratch:

Based upon the pic, I say go ahead and try blocking the skimmer and see what happens.. It would be best if you could have someone else block the skimmer (with the vac port open) while you look at the pump.. If the pump suddenly runs out of water, you will know that the pump can't draw enough water through the vac port to allow the pump to run.. If this is the case, you could try blocking off only part of the skimmer.

In your particular case, blocking off the skimmer should increase the water flow through the vac port.

Keep in mind that most pools with only one pipe have the main drain plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer. When you block off the skimmer pipe, it just may switch over the main drain.

Thanks,

Jim R.

“it appears you have a vacuum port on the side wall of your pool”. Yes, this is correct.

Thank you for the advice. I’ll give it a try.

It looks like the skimmer has a hose slip fitting on the suction port. You might try using hooking up there if you can't get enough suction out of the vacuum port. If you don't have a main drain, it's possible your vacuum is connected to the skimmer through the plugged port. But, if that's the case, you wouldn't feel any suction from the vacuum port now.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.