Increase in PH with aeration

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
I have told several that PH increases with aeration and none of them have ever heard of such. I read a post here from several years ago where someone had ran all his features for many many hours with no increase in PH and it was explained I think by the TA being out of whack if I remember correctly.

I did see some scientific explanation on this site a while back but my question is if this is a proven fact? In other words, have experiments been done with control conditions to see what the difference is with other variables being the same? The PH seemed to increase rapidly when we ran a lot of features but then again, can't say I compared it to not running features to see the difference.

I'm just throwing it out there. Not saying I don't believe it but in the one post I found here, someone claims that their PH never rose despite aeration for some length of time.

Its fact. But many non TFP ers are hooked on tabs, which are CY(acid) and keep the PH down. Or a low TA may help keep the PH down as well. But with new plaster curing for 6 -12 months and aeration, most folks see crazy PH rise.

Reactions: Mdragger88
There is a ceiling your PH will hit and stop rising which is dependent on your carbonate alkalinity. PH will certainly rise until it hits that ceiling and is accelerated by aeration.

Here's a good video demonstrating the aeration affect.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have this setup (easy pvc design) on top of a sump pump. I can reliably raise pH by .4 in 12 hours in a 30K gallon pool. I used this to lower a 140 TA to 70 in 3.5 days.

The trick is to make A LOT of TINY bubbles. Drill 8-10, 3/16" holes in the caps. Most people have features that bubble a bit, or other method to "aerate" that don't make the size and volume of bubbles necessary to raise pH appreciably.

Make A LOT of TINY bubbles, your pH will rise nicely.

Aerator.jpg

Reactions: charles_slc
many non TFP ers are hooked on tabs, which are CY(acid) and keep the PH down.
Are you implying that tabs containing CY would not be best practice or just making an observation? The builder used some CY in their tabs but since then I have added some CY in powder form.

Thanks for the post about rising PH with aeration. It seemed to be the case with us but I don't have a standard to compare with.

Are you implying that tabs containing CY would not be best practice
Correct. Extended tab use is a disaster for all the CYA it adds. Even seeing the term CYA, many still don't realize it's acid and helps keep the Ph in check, which is why i wrote the above CY(acid) (y)

For startups and spring openers, tabs can be great to kill two birds with one stone, but they need to be phased out as soon as you reach your target levels.
Thanks for the post about rising PH with aeration. It seemed to be the case with us but I don't have a standard to compare with.
You've read it 100 times. But you've also read a bazillion other things of information overload. We get it. We were there once too. Once each part is relevant and in front of you, they really start to sink in. Like now. :)

Reactions: digidoggie18
I have this setup (easy pvc design) on top of a sump pump. I can reliably raise pH by .4 in 12 hours in a 30K gallon pool. I used this to lower a 140 TA to 70 in 3.5 days.

The trick is to make A LOT of TINY bubbles. Drill 8-10, 3/16" holes in the caps. Most people have features that bubble a bit, or other method to "aerate" that don't make the size and volume of bubbles necessary to raise pH appreciably.

Make A LOT of TINY bubbles, your pH will rise nicely.

View attachment 413966
Do you have any additional pics?

This is what I have now, for a 3500g AGP... Think it will work? Or should I go back to Home Depot
TA was 170, pH was 7.8 before adding acid.

Pool Aerator 2.jpg
Pool Aerator 1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.